free website stats program 103 Big Bore Kit | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

103 Big Bore Kit

Here is the stock heads that I have on my bike. Ported and polished, etc.... 103 ci piston.

Not to mislead, I think the bigger bore kit is a great thing, I love the horsepower, just when asked about bang for the buck. Whatever, they will print more money.....:skipping

Attachments

• 103 CI Parts (3).JPG
    103 CI Parts (3).JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 136
  • 103 CI Parts (2).JPG
    103 CI Parts (2).JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 123
  • 103 CI Parts (4).JPG
    103 CI Parts (4).JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 114
Head work as in new heads, or as in machining the heads?
I'm only getting about 25 MPG now, seems a bit light, I expected at least 30, although I do tend to drive faster than traffic, and jack rabbit start a lot cause I love the sound of my motor/exhaust. Suggestions?

I got the bike all finished up, WOW, what a butt load of torque this thing makes. I put the SE 255 cams in with the 103 flat tops. I had one of the techs at the Harley Dealer close to me, help remap everything. On my break in ride to OK( around 350 miles that day) I checked my milage on a 130 mile stint and got 49.6 MPG.

I love the HP and the way it runs. Good luck to every one else working on there stuff. I had a blast

Michael

I just ordered the stage 2 103 kit for my 09 SG. The dealer quoted me $1,500.00, I already have Stage 1 w/ Rineharts. I didn't think the price was anything to get too excited about but the dealer acts like it is a screaming hot deal. I am a little concerned because my dealeer does not have an in house dyno. Can a good mechanic get this upgrade to perform properly w/out a dyno?

Yes, I have the SE fueler. How much difference in a canned map as compared to a dyno tune?
I'd like to say how much I enjoy and use this site, great info and feed back. How can one donate $$ to the cause?

mine is being killed by the EPA 255cams and SERT as we could not get it to run at the correct AFR was running in the 11 and 12's ie rich and at 100% throttle was 10.3 !!!!!! wasting fuel, we tried the VE tables the AFR the Bias and nothing seemed to affect it, if we could get better cylinder fill i would have a 120+tq monster but the cams does not have enough lift to get the air
but its still running 91hp and 111tq in comparison a 96 stg1 was over 30ft/lbs down and 20hp down and the 103 STG2 2008 bob did with a PCIII and no heads was 10hp and 20ftlbs down on the same dyno and the biggest shock the a destroyer Vrod was down on Torque but obliterated all commers on the HP stages 145hp and still climbing but it ran out of RPMS :D

Hobbit,
I was thinking about doing the same swap and I'm intrigued by your experiences. Previously you have proposed that the way to go was the HD 103 kit. I was in full agreement with you till I read your post above. I always knew the SE255 cams were EPA compliant but I figured they would be a good cam to give me a lot of torque with or without the 103 kit.

If the 255 cams are not the best what would you suggest? Some people put 211s in 96ci and others put the 203 cams for torque. Seems everyone has their own stories, likes and dislikes. You, on the other hand support your views with figures.

I'm after torque and early in the rev range. I want more roll on when passing cars or touring loaded on the 09 FLHT.

Thank you

Neil

I don't care what anybody says but in my honest opinion if you are doing extensive motor work, they only way to get a good tune and all the power you can out of that motor it has to go on the dyno.

If we are going to build an engine up to 90+ hp, should we be geting the crankshaft trued, welded and better bearings installed? Or at what point do we do this? I would hate to spend 2k or more on power upgrades and see the low end give out.

There are two SE "stroker" cranks which have the same stroke as that of the stock 96" engine. One is the crank which is used stock in the 96" and it's built from cast wheels. The other, very more expensive one, has forged wheels. It's the cast wheels which have a harder time holding onto the crankpin.

I don't believe the current cast-wheeled crank is any different than anything that's been put into the 96" (A) engines all along.

I have an 07 RG. I've put V&H True Duals, a Fuel Pak, Ness Big Sucker on it. I'm thinking of getting the engine upgraded to either a 103 or 110. What would the parts required? How much $$ would I be looking at for the parts??
And would I still use the above add-ons that I have now ??
Thanks

Neil
remember my Dyna is a lot lighter than the tourers and that i have done head work as well to increase compression - this is were the 255 cam struggles, i really need a more agressive cam profile to open the valves further and longer.
if you fit the 103 with the stock heads and 255 cam you will see 90hp and around 100ft/lbs on the dyno and trust me when i say you will feel this, the roll on will be perfect and instead of dropping down a cog you will just wind it open specially as the 09's have a more low end oreinted gear box it will fl, how do i know our dealer has a street glide equiped so and it absoluelty rocks runs out of legs above 5500 rpms but then its a 1 tonne bike and its not made for it.
The spec on the street glide - monster ovals, SE heavy breather, SE 103 kit with 255 cam and se tuner - stock heads and throttle body.

Thanks Hobbit. I don't see the high revs as I like to ride and in NSW if you are 30k over the speed limit they take your licence straight off you and charge you over $1000 for the privelage.

Neil

Back