100K & my belt breaks

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by wannaride, Jan 24, 2013.

1. wannaride

wannaride Active Member

What luck is that. So now I need to tear it down for the belt & to look at the cam chain tensioners.
    [​IMG]

Toby

2. Mavagrand

Mavagrand Senior Member

Any other issues with your ride? What fluids do you run?

3. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

Wow that's incredible. What's the chances of predicting that to happen. I would buy a Power-Ball ticket.:)

4. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

That is ODD, but very good mileage out of a belt:D

5. HDSickness

HDSickness Banned

Have you ever checked cam tensioners before?

6. oldhippie

oldhippie Senior Member

That'll make it easier to keep track of how many miles you get out of your next belt.:p

7. biscuit

biscuit Junior Member

I wouldn't think you've got anything to feel bad about.100,000 miles out of a belt is one heck of an achievement! What's that?-at least 3 or 4 chains and sprockets on any other bike.Plus all that lube everywhere and frequent adjustments.Take a bow.

8. Ralphdbs

Ralphdbs Member

Change the sprockets also

9. Blue Wide Glide

Blue Wide Glide Junior Member

If you have a shifter shaft seal, change it also. It's a $2 part, but you have to tear the inner off to get to it.

10. wannaride

wannaride Active Member

Thanks for the comments. I use Amsoil, have changed tensioners & bearings around 50K & going into the cam chest to check the tensioners again (checked them around 75K also). New belt, sprockets front & rear & the shift shaft seal I just did about 5K back when I replaced the lever. Not sure if the belt had ever been changed since I got it around the mid 40K mark. Will ask the previous owner when I see him. Thinking of going to different size sprockets but not sure I want to mess with changing the belt size & all. I like the way it runs, might be happier if I got an overdrive but living in Colorado with the mountains it might be more of a pain than a blessing.

Toby