free website stats program 1000 mile service $$$$ | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

1000 mile service $$$$

Spoke to a dealer last week to get an idea of the cost for the 10,000 mile service. Advised around $500 :cry. Now I am not a mechanic, but I can change fluids. What else is important that would need a mechanic to perform?

Redline just had a sale (their online website) - might still be on - for $79.00 you get 5 qts. of 20-50 syn. oil for the motor, a qt. of trans lube and a qt. of primary lube. In addition they give you a cap, a neat funnel and decals. Not a bad deal - and when I did the change the motor was a lot quieter.

Jim

Just did my 1000 mile service Dealer wanted $325 to do it... I spent $12 for the filter, $38 for the engine oil(spectro) , $16.00 for the trans fluid (spectro 6 speed) and $17.00 for the primary (spectro primary fluid) had to buy two liters... will only be $8.50 next time...... So $71.00 sounds a lot better to me and i know the fluids are better and i did it right:lero

I can't understand the lamentations.
Purchase a HD is expensive, parts are expensive.
Do you expect a discount for service ?

JS

Joe Schmack,

As the OP, I was in "sticker shock" mode when quoted the price. I understand "H-D" stands for "Hundreds of Dollars", but it was the first time I had seen the actual $$$ of this service. I have done the 1000 mile service as well as the 5000 mile service. I turned 7000 today on a 160 mile ride, sooooo the 10K service will prob be done this summer.

My commute to work is 75 miles a week and I'm averaging 167 per week by my calculations of 7010 miles and 42 weeks of ownership===167.071429 milers per week...not bad for riding through the winter on such a short weekly commute. Tracy

I can't understand the lamentations.
Purchase a HD is expensive, parts are expensive.
Do you expect a discount for service ?

JS

:p These are Harleys top of the line, I would think you would want to brag about how much you pay SO Everybody knows It's about the Love of the bike:D If you what a low cost bike:20: Honda may work:bigsmiley36:

Just remember one thing with the oil changes and services at the dealer. These don't get the TOP mechanic doing them so double check the quantities when you get the bike back. It's usually the parts washing kid doing the oil changes and working his way up the food chain....but...you still get to pay the $80-$100 and hour for labor regardless :lolrolling

Back