free website stats program 1000 Mile Service | Harley Davidson Forums

1000 Mile Service

hogwild

My brother and I just bought the 2011 Road King Classic 103, I just made it to 1000 miles, I plan on doing the service myself, my question is my brother was told by his dealer that they needed to keep the bike overnight because the lifters would need to be adjusted is that something new on the 103's or is his dealer trying to get more money?

Maybe the magical lifter elves come in to make motor adjustments overnight..?? :s

Don't know why - I'd ask...also can check w/another dealership to see if it's the norm. IMO, they're making stuff up. Shouldn't be added cost for overnight stay though. Work should be charged @ hourly rate while mechanic is clocked onto your scoot.

Sounds like a scam to me. PUSHRODS can be adjusted if they are not stock ones that have been replaced with an upgrade. Lifters cannot be adjusted.

The dealer should have just been "HONEST" and told you that they were busy and and want to work on a cold bike than tell you something that is absolutely untrue.

Call another dealer and ask them, sounds fishy to me unless you have adjustable push rods ( I doubt it from the factory) Keep all your receipts from any service you do, document it so if warranty is an issue you are covered:s

Thanks for the information. I went through my service manual and read all the items to be done on the 1000 mile service and no where did it mention doing anything to the engine, except for the oil change, but to be on the safe side I thought I'd ask. I just hit 1000 miles so I'll spend the day doing the service on mine tomorrow.

Thanks for the information. I went through my service manual and read all the items to be done on the 1000 mile service and no where did it mention doing anything to the engine, except for the oil change, but to be on the safe side I thought I'd ask. I just hit 1000 miles so I'll spend the day doing the service on mine tomorrow.

Good for you and let us know how it goes and remember to keep good records:s

JUST a thought.. I never Have Had a problem with any dealers from HD service department when doing warranty work, by doing the Maintenance work Myself..... BUT YOU Might want to MARK YOUR Service Records OFF IN the Owners Manual...Check off all the necessary things it calls out TO DO at That Mileage interval.. keeping GOOD records of what Has been done if ever a Question.

At sale time, Good records Help to keep a Firm position on getting top dollar out of your bike IF you sell private..

signed....BUBBIE

My 2011 Ltd. goes in for the 1000 mile service on thursday. Service Dept. told me they need about 2 hours to get it done. After this first service I will do my own from then on too.

Back