free website stats program 1000 Mile Service | Harley Davidson Forums

1000 Mile Service

Took my 2011 Street Glide in today for 1000mi service. I decided to go with Mobil 1 so I provided my own product to the Dealer. While talking to the tech he said 4qts for the motor manual says 3.5qts then check level he also said 1qt for the primary manual says 1.4qts he did get the trans right 1qt
I have done a lot of oil changes on the Harleys I've owned and will on this bike after this 1000mi thing
Should I be concerned with this Dealer and how high up should I go?
(purchased at this dealer)

Took my 2011 Street Glide in today for 1000mi service. I decided to go with Mobil 1 so I provided my own product to the Dealer. While talking to the tech he said 4qts for the motor manual says 3.5qts then check level he also said 1qt for the primary manual says 1.4qts he did get the trans right 1qt
I have done a lot of oil changes on the Harleys I've owned and will on this bike after this 1000mi thing

Do not over fill the engine oil, it will carry over to the air cleaner, I have found 1/2 quart less than the owners manual calls out for then ride it til hot and recheck:s

The engine will take 4 on a dry fill but always add 3 1/2 then check on the dipstick and top off as necessary. As far as the primary, 1.4 is the correct measurement. If you are unsure just fill it to the bottom of the clutch basket with the bike level and upright.

Once the dealer questioned me about purchasing 2 bottles of primary fluid. I told him it takes 38oz when changed. He stated that they only use 32oz when changed. I am glad I do my own servicing of bike...

I would be concerned with this tech (?) He sounds like the kind that thinks "close is good enough, a bigger hammer makes a tighter fit, they all do that" kind of guy. Mentioning his lack of following factory recommendations to the serv. manager might be worth while.

Once the dealer questioned me about purchasing 2 bottles of primary fluid. I told him it takes 38oz when changed. He stated that they only use 32oz when changed. I am glad I do my own servicing of bike...

Agree completely. I can't do major projects yet, but I can do my own fluid changes and feel confident that it is done correctly.
Ishmael

I would be concerned with this tech (?) He sounds like the kind that thinks "close is good enough, a bigger hammer makes a tighter fit, they all do that" kind of guy. Mentioning his lack of following factory recommendations to the serv. manager might be worth while.

I agree with Breeze on this one. Check your bill to and see if you got charged the second quart of primary oil. I've seen where the mechanic did this and took home the second quart. Even if you were charged and they added the extra 6 oz from the second bottle, they should give you the remainder of the second bottle. It all adds up at the end of the day.:s

Better in your pocket than theirs.

I've heard the same thing from two different dealers. They said the 6oz. does not really matter. I always do my own service and I go with the 38oz's. If that is what the MOCO calls for then that's what I do. Seems only right.

I have ask the service writer at the Las Vegas Red Rock about this and he said they only put in one quart. Wonder why?

Back