1000 mile service

Discussion in 'Other Service and Maintenance' started by softy heritage, Sep 13, 2009.

1. softy heritage

softy heritage Member

a few questions on the 1000 mile service. would it be wise to let the selling dealer do it so I would have it recorded for any warranty problems later? Also I plan to change lubes myself. Which lead to my other questions. Owners manual recommends HD 10w40 or 20w50 depending on temps rode in for the engine,recommends HD formula + for trans and chaincase. Dealer says to use screaming eagle 20w50 in all three cases. I have read all the oil threads ansd have been a mechanic for over 30 years and I did a double take when they said this. Plan on changing lubes this week. What should I use for engine,trans and chaincase? This is a great forum.
  2. wildspirit97

wildspirit97 Senior Member

good quality 20-50 in the engine, Lucas, Mobile 1 etc.....
    Spectro 6 speed in the tranny
    Formula +, Redline, Royal Purple, or Spectro heavy duty primary lube in the Primary
  3. 66cruiser

66cruiser Active Member

All that is required to keep the warranty happy is that you keep receipts for all the parts (& labor if you have the work done). Unless I knew for certain that the dealer was honest in his dealings & his help was competent, I would not have any bike of mine serviced by a factory dealer service department. They are normally in too much of a hurry to do the work properly.
  4. Elmosac

Elmosac Active Member

I used syn 20W50 in all 3 holes for about 30K miles. I recently put 75W140 in the trans and like the differance a lot. The bike doesn't clunk as much going into first and neutral is easier to find.

I used Syn 3 for the first 20K and then switched to a brand that takes a beating on this site.

I think that synthetics are better and as long as you use a quality brand you'll be happy. I would also recommend a heaver gear oil in the trans.