free website stats program 1000 mile service | Harley Davidson Forums

1000 mile service

Hill202

Contributor
I just dropped mine off for a $300.00-1000 mile service.

Did I just agree to the most exspensive oil change in the world?

Thanks, that makes me feel a little better. I should have negotiated that into the purchase.

They assured me that they go over it well and re-torque everything. Clutch adjustment etc. I knew I could've handled an oil change but felt like an experienced tech needed to inspect it to make sure everything is "settling" in as it should.

On the other hand, it's a golden oppertunity for a shop to make a quick buck by putting a low paid assistant on the job, to knock out an oil change and check the tire pressure.

I always use my local HD dealer for my service. I know it's pricey but honestly, each time it's serviced I can tell a noticeable difference in how it runs and rides. I just had my 10K service last Friday.

I could change my own oils but I just plain don't want to.
:USA

One advantage of doing it yourself. You get to choose the oils. With that said, I don't regret taking my bike in for its 1000-mile service. But later; mainly after reading the tips on this site, I am doing all my own services. I mean ALL of them. I recently knocked out my wife's 2009 FLHX 1000-mile service in about three hours.

Thanks to all the fine folks here, especially Glider and Hobbit. I consider you guys my bro's and hope I can pay something back in the future.

PS. Buy your bike's HD service manual.

Thank goodness for this site and friends with experience. A couple of my brothers/riders offered a helping hand so I took them up on the offer. Not that it may not have been worth it but I was off set by the total. That being said I did not want to pay the 350.00 for the 1k check and did it at the house and enjoyed time spent with friends.

Back