free website stats program 1000 Mile Clutch Adjustment??? | Harley Davidson Forums

1000 Mile Clutch Adjustment???

lhgdale

Hello, i am wanting to know if adjusting the clutch inside the primary is a must at the 1000 mile service? Im doing the service myself. I ask because my clutch has been great since the day i rode out of the dealership. No slack in the cable and engages right in the sweet spot. I just hate to mess it up, its pretty much perfect for me.
WAP.gif

If it's working for you and you have no issues leave it alone, theres no law saying you have to mess with it at 1000 miles. Just a suggested mileage to check it. IMO.

That's what i was thinking. I just didnt know if there was a critical reason it needed to be adjusted. Dont want to cause any premature wear or damage. Thanks for the info.
WAP.gif

That's correct. The service manual checklist is "Check Adjustment". Yours may not need adjusting for a long time.

Hello, i am wanting to know if adjusting the clutch inside the primary is a must at the 1000 mile service? Im doing the service myself. I ask because my clutch has been great since the day i rode out of the dealership. No slack in the cable and engages right in the sweet spot. I just hate to mess it up, its pretty much perfect for me.
WAP.gif

http://www.hdtimeline.com/archive/t-738.html For when you are ready:s

I did mine, not that big a deal if you follow the directions on this forum. If yours is good I'd leave it alone, it's only a recommended check at 1000 miles.....good luck with your wrenching.

Im going to change the primary fluid. Im anal when it comes to clutches and mine is NICE!
WAP.gif

The recommendation to check clutch and adjust as necessary is there because the clutch cable CAN stretch enough to require adjustment. But if your clutch is grabbing about 1/3 to half way released (from the grip), then you are good. If it is getting to be close to almost fully released, then you should adjust it a bit.

Make sure you use a premium fit-for-purpose chaincase/wet clutch fluid in your primary. HD Formula +, Spectro Primary, Redline Primary, etc. are all good choices.

TQ

Back