free website stats program 100 Mile Fuel Problem | Harley Davidson Forums

100 Mile Fuel Problem

fatboy29

I have a 1999 HD Fatboy, purchased with only 4500 miles. At first I thought it just has poor gas mileage. But after several rides I have found that at 100 miles the primary Fuel starts to sputter and I have to change to reserve. No problem but, I can only fill up 2 gallons. I should have 3 left right? Has anyone else had this problem or should I go to reserve and see how many more miles I can go. Or is the reserve seperate from the regular tank.
Thanks

No, Not a big fan of pushing.. he he.. I do not have a fuel gauge on the bike, Will the link you sent help with that? But yes it is a 5 gallon tank. Love to ride, just want to figure this out. I really apperciate any info thanks for the quick response.

Maybe check out the tank for water or debris, possibly the cause for sputtering? No fuel gauge? :naughty If you have no gauge, then the link will be useless to you.

Would that link be my problem. My low fuel light comes on when I first fill up and then goes away after I use up about a gallon of gas or so.

I have an LED fuel guage which works great, just the low fuel light on my Dyna that is irritating me. I gave it a test last week to see if it would come on...well, let's just say the LED was accurate and I was stranded pushing my bike. Thankfully another guy brought me his lawn mower fuel to get me to the gas station.

That test is the resistance in the sending unit.You could try it on yours to see what readings you get and go from there.

I also have 2 fuel caps. But the one on the left will not unscrew. I have been told that it is only one tank, but you might be right that I need to allow it to cross over. Anyone else with a 1999 Fatboy have issues with filling up??? Thanks for the respones

The '99 should have two fuel tanks connected by crossovers,one bottom and one under the dash.The left gas cap has reverse threads,it unscrews backwards from the right cap.Fill the left tank first,reinstall the cap and then fill the right tank.Only way to fill all the way.MY2000 is when the Softail went to a one piece tank with a fuel gage.

Thanks. I will give it a try and let you know. Thanks for the responses. Any and all info is a great help.

Back