free website stats program 100,000 miles on 05 Electraglide Standard | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

100,000 miles on 05 Electraglide Standard

Could this be the splined slotted ends contacting each other, preventing the pinch lever from engaging the shaft. You will need a very thin contact file to open up the slot wider, so the pinch bolt and cinch it up without damaging the serrations on the shaft (hopefully they are not worn or damaged.

An alternative to stop the rattle, you can install a wavy sping washer to help tension the assembly so it does not rattle? Without a picture I am flying this post a bit blind. :s

That's what I did with my '86. The worn shifter vibrated like crazy so I took the slack out of the shaft with a thin flat spacer washer and a wave washer to maintain spring tension on top of that. At least half the vibration is gone just by doing that. Less vibration results in further less wear

Have 104,000 on an 04 Road Glide, with a 95" motor. I too have not by any means babied it. Added cams and adjustable push rods at 30k.Did chain tensioners at the same time. Rinehard true duels, when it was new.Did tensioners again around 60k. Only other problem I had was a bad stator and loose compensator nut. Still on original belt with no visible damage. Bike still runs strong, with no leaks. I also have used synthetic, but Red Line 20-60.

Bought a 2010, and didn't part with the 04.

I have an 05 Electra Glide Standard, and just turned 70,300 miles on mine. I had the cam chain tensioners replaced at 60,000, and just got the 5 year Extended Service plan with wheel and tire. Bike runs great and strong. The only thing I can't seem to fix is the darn rattle in the shifter. It seems to be right there where the shaft connects to the heal toe shifter.

New shaft maybe. Replaced mine on my 2010 under waranty for same issue. It only took them about 15 min to fix.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could this be the splined slotted ends contacting each other, preventing the pinch lever from engaging the shaft. You will need a very thin contact file to open up the slot wider, so the pinch bolt and cinch it up without damaging the serrations on the shaft (hopefully they are not worn or damaged.

An alternative to stop the rattle, you can install a wavy sping washer to help tension the assembly so it does not rattle? Without a picture I am flying this post a bit blind. :s

No you got it right, you can find these @ lowes, or you can cut down an old valve spring and use that between the shifter and the case:Wave Washers | Fastenal

Last edited by a moderator:
This years ALL The Way RFTW will push my 04 FLHTC over the 100k mark. Add approx 1 qt every 5k miles. Never exceeded 5k between changes SYN3 in motor only. Cam tensioner x1, oil pump x1. Coast-to-coast a couple times pulling trailer (w/wife). Got a dealer nearby who's doing a 50/50 on stage 2 kits.......to do or not to do now that is the question. 100,000 miles of memories....priceless. Way to go, enjoy your next 100k.

If I didn't expect a "stock" Harley-Davidson to run trouble free, for at least 100,000 miles, I wouldn't have bought mine.
Modern equipment,when properly cared for should get 100K at a minimum...

Congrats on the 100k on your bike...

Back