free website stats program '10 Limited - Few Questions | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

'10 Limited - Few Questions

Sorry about that Glider... forgot it was larger - trying again, should have sized it down to 700x500 this time.

2010-06-12143309.jpg

Good looking Bike !!!!!!!!! And I have one just like it !!!! Same color but a FLHR,,,, looks like you used Lemon PLEDGE is on it Also.... IF NOT apply a good amount especially to the wind shield,,,, You will Never be sorry!!!

Surprised Glider didn't say it first... His bike is a look alike also!

good stuff.....

signed....BUBBIE

Scott - I also own a '10 Limited. My recommendation is to wait until the 1000 miles...then change to the H-D SYN or H-D regular oils. Your engine needs to break in with the oil that came in it for that first 1000 miles...also if you service the bike yourself then be sure to keep all the receipts showing the purchase date of the fluids, filter, and primary gasket and document it in the owners manual showing date and mileage. This will satisfy the H-D folks and keep them from voiding your warranty if you have troubles later down the road.

Scott - I also own a '10 Limited. My recommendation is to wait until the 1000 miles...then change to the H-D SYN or H-D regular oils. Your engine needs to break in with the oil that came in it for that first 1000 miles...also if you service the bike yourself then be sure to keep all the receipts showing the purchase date of the fluids, filter, and primary gasket and document it in the owners manual showing date and mileage. This will satisfy the H-D folks and keep them from voiding your warranty if you have troubles later down the road.

???

It's been discussed at length the shortcomings of both HD oils you mention. Stick with a high quality, true synthetic.

He's already done the break in so why not change to synthetic right now? The most important thing is to do the 30-60-30 procedure as soon as possible and then get THAT oil out of the motor. No reason to wail until 1000 miles. The CVO bikes come from the factory with synthetic installed as do many high end automobiles.

Like Doc mentioned above, there's no reason to wait to 1000 to change to synthetic. Check the self help forum under "OIL" for more on this. Do the 30-60-30- break in and ride it the way you will be riding it with no lugging and no high speed thrashing.
Harley can't void your warranty for changing oil types being they sell motors running on synthetic oil right from the factory. Too much hype is on the net about them voiding your warranty. It's a dealer scare tactic in most cases to get you to bring your bike to them for service $$$$$

scts; awesome choice in bike & definitely good move w/using M1 products. It's all I use in the scoot motors & even switched to M1 oil/filter for my cages. You might want to look into Spectro for the primary & trans b/c it comes w/high recommendations - especially w/the 6-speed whine & shifting. Really quieted & smoother shifting on my 09 FLHX...safe riding!

Thanks everyone... still riding that new bike high :).

Don't mean to start another oil / break-in war here - but did a lot of research here, other places online, and with a few guys who turn the wrench to put food on the table... from my understanding on the mechanics during an engine break-in and how all of this stuff works together the 30-60-30 breakin followed by an oil change in the 100 to 150 mile range made the most sense to me...

Also wanted to reitterate - I did talk to the service manager at the dealer I purchased from, although they strongly recommended HD products (got the feeling he had to say that) as long as I kept the receipts for everything (oil and filter for the change - rest of fluids and gaskets for the others), used a quality oil rated for motorcycles, and logged the change in the owners manual there would be no issues with warranty (I've said before, they are a quality dealership that I've dealt with for several years now and trust).

On to better topics - M1 oil is in her belly now (did have what I would call expected metal shavings on the plug from the change) and we're getting ready to head up to either Blue Ridge Parkway or Skyline drive for a ride today. Hope everyone can get out and enjoy a good ride today - Ride Safe!

Don't mean to start another oil / break-in war here - but did a lot of research here, other places online, and with a few guys who turn the wrench to put food on the table... from my understanding on the mechanics during an engine break-in and how all of this stuff works together the 30-60-30 breakin followed by an oil change in the 100 to 150 mile range made the most sense to me...

I totally agree - I am NOT a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination but the more I read, research, and think about it this approach just seems totally logical. Problem is the "industry" doesn't like educated consumers. They want you to follow their break in, which in the long run is worse for the motor, and use their products, which are usually inferior.

As a side story, we just got our oldest daughter a new Honda Fit. As soon as I could get a hold of it I found a road where I could do the 30-60-30 and then took it to the dealer for an oil change before she was to leave on a 600 mile round trip with the car. Service manager filling out the paperwork hops in the driver's seat to record the mileage and has a heart attack - 150 miles! He almost refused to do the oil change but finally said, "Hey, it's your money. We'll do whatever you tell us to do."

Didn't mean to hijack the thread but just wanted to illustrate the attitude of most dealers and service people.

Nice bike, I think Glider would agree...love the color...:D And learning to change fluids doing routine maintenance is a good thing. On newer HDs you can't go wrong with 100% Synthetic oil in the engine to take advantage of the friction modifiers and low wear additives assoicated with V-Twin recommended motor oils. Makes for cooler runing and less wear...with higher temperature endurance than dino based "blends" like HD Syn3.

Back