free website stats program 10% ethyl fuel | Harley Davidson Forums

10% ethyl fuel

just4u

Banned
Is it ok to run 10% ethyl fuel in a harley all the time? we pasted threw Oregon state on the road trip for two days,all the gas stations had 10% ethyl. During all that time We had to used the 10% ethyl. The bikes popped,ran hot,and even the exhaust sounded odd. when we got out of that state the bikes ran normal.

one Bike was a 1996,80in bad boy,the other bike was a 2006 heritage. The carb bike popped more than the fi bike, but both ran odd with that 10%ethyl. Has anybody heard of this? thanks PJ

Has anybody heard of this? thanks PJ

seems feasible, ethyl is the same kind of junk as ethanol,
has lower energy production than gasoline, so around 10%
you would run lean.. hot, popping, etc.

I guess next time throw in an octane booster, or dont go to Oregon :p

Ethanol is a very poor fuel. I wonder if the popping that you heard was the corn. Ethanol is highly corrosive. Last year we rode to Sturgis and most of the fuel was 10% corn gas. In the head wind one day I was down to 34 mpg. We have taken peoples food and made fuel for us. The only good thing about ethanol is corn is a quick renewable resouce. It takes 5 gallons of ethanol to make 1 gallon of fuel.

That's all you can find around here, gas with 10% ethanol added to it. Sad thing is under wikipedia it says; Ethanol contains approx. 34% less energy per unit volume than gasoline, and several friends that have milage computers in their vehicles have said their gas milage has dropped. Also prices for gas around here surely haven't dropped since they forced this stuff on us, so what's the advantage? Beats me?!! I hope it's ok to run...

That's why I don't understand the use of it. Sure it may be a bit cheaper but it burns less effeciently, therefore you have to use more negating any savings at the pump.

I think the ethyl keeps farmers in business which is not a bad thing. I also have a truck that can burn flex fuel 85% ethenol and 15% gas I noticed a dramatic decrease in gas milage in my truck but that's because the octane rating is so high. I think it's like 112 octane with that mixture the more octane the more fuel that needs to be dumped in the cylinders to fire.

The 10% Ethanol is all we can get here. I'm not an expert on how the power works out with the stuff but seems everyone says there is a loss.

I haven't had any rough running, etc. type problems. Guess that's a little bit of good news.

Back