free website stats program 10,000 mile service 2004 Fatboy | Harley Davidson Forums

10,000 mile service 2004 Fatboy

Holland13

Just curious if anyone has done their own 10,000 mile serive on their Fatboy. If so just how dificult is it? How much money will I save over the $350 plus tax the dealer wants? How much time am I looking at. Thanks for any input.

You will definitely save money. Time depends on your comfort level with the required items and tools. If you don't already have one, get the HD Service Manual (not the Owners Manual) for your specific bike - it lists everything required and how to do each item.

Nothing wrong with doing the items you feel comfortable with at your own pace and paying someone else to finish up. You'll still save some money and have the satisfaction of at least doing some of the maintenance yourself.

Just curious if anyone has done their own 10,000 mile serive on their Fatboy. If so just how dificult is it? How much money will I save over the $350 plus tax the dealer wants? How much time am I looking at. Thanks for any input.

$350.00, what a deal. My local HD dealer wants 535.00 and an independent shop I checked with wants 350.00 just for labor.

Welcome Holland13, you will find a lot of fellow riders and enthusists here to help. As Glider and most of the posters have stated...you will save a ton of money doing it your self, and the gratification of doing it yourself with others on the forum to help you, knowing it is done right! If you have simple handtools, a manual, and a little patience, most of the routine stuff is just that and a boon to know how to do it in the future. Do a little preparation and clear work area, go over the procedures and critical gating items (ones that are key to sucessful completion in the time allowed) and generally plan to do access and removal early Friday evening, so you have both Saturday and Sunday to do the deed while HD dealer is open for parts if you run across additional items you invariably need when doing it yourself...i.e. where is the cotter pin that went flying, that gasket or o-ring that went to pieces etc. Be patient, and if frustrated, step back a moment, take a deep breath, take a short break to contact us here at HDT...we are always here to help!

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

Thanks for the input, information, and the support. I will be giving it a shot this weekend. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Back