free website stats program 1 lifter UP while pistons at Top Dead Center | Harley Davidson Forums

1 lifter UP while pistons at Top Dead Center

fabrozor

Hello,

after hydrolic cam plate conversion, i'm reassembling the motor. The problem is i guess i followed what the manual said (about the cam Timing Lines facing each other) but i have a lifter UP (the front right) while the pistons are at Top Dead Center.
Does that means something to you ?

Thanks.

but i have a lifter UP (the front right) while the pistons are at Top Dead Center.
Does that means something to you ?

Thanks.

One piston is at TDC and the other is on the exhaust stroke. Sounds like the front right cylinder is on the exhaust stroke.

I think i anderstand you're right because i checked again.
I was puting DTC with both pistons at the top together.
I tried again with one at his top, followed with the other at his top and i didn't read the same values.
I must check again.

Fabrozor,

Remember that in each cylinder, you have a compression stroke AND an exhaust stroke. When I am setting my adjustable pushrods, I disconnect the battery, jack the rear wheel off the ground, put the tranny in 4th or 5th, take out the spark plugs, then watch the lifters on the cylinder I want to adjust. I rotate the rear wheel until I see the exhaust lifter rise, then fall and then the intake lifter rise then fall. At that point I go to the left side and watch the piston in the cylinder I want to adjust as I slowly rotate the rear wheel. When I see (or feel with a pencil) the piston move to the top of its stroke (TDC for THAT cylinder) then I am ready to adjust those two pushrods. After letting them bleed down for at least 15 min. and checking to make sure I can rotate them easily with thumb and fore-finger, I follow the same procedure as above for the other cylinder. Easy as that!

TQ

1)
do you really need to watch the lifters, knowing that when piston is up, the both valves of this cylinder are supposed to be closed ?

2)
I made the pushrod adjustment with brand new lifters.
I finger tightened the pushrods untill it became hard, but still could rotate.
Then i added 2.5 turns (screeming eagle pushrods).
Few seconds later (did not wait 10 minutes), it could rotate again.
I wonder if somethings is wrong.

3)
How do you do if you are not shure and if you want to restart the adjustment procedure from the begining ?

1)
do you really need to watch the lifters, knowing that when piston is up, the both valves of this cylinder are supposed to be closed ?

Yes. Because the piston can be at the top of the EXHAUST stroke instead of the COMPRESSION stroke.

2)
I made the pushrod adjustment with brand new lifters.
I finger tightened the pushrods untill it became hard, but still could rotate.
Then i added 2.5 turns (screeming eagle pushrods).
Few seconds later (did not wait 10 minutes), it could rotate again.
I wonder if somethings is wrong.

No, not necessarily. "Dry" lifters will not take as long to collapse as charged (oil full) lifters. But you do need to "soak" your lifters in oil before installing (next time).

3)
How do you do if you are not shure and if you want to restart the adjustment procedure from the begining ?

Just collapse the pushrods all the way, and wait about 10-15 min. for the lifters to fully expand. See the pix in the post below to see what lifters look like disassembled (I had to see the last time!!).

Lifter configuration - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

Back