free website stats program 1/8" space when tighten Axle nut | Harley Davidson Forums

1/8" space when tighten Axle nut

dangerdan

Re-Installing The Front Axle

This question seems to come up quite a bit on various motorcycle forums: "Do I tighten the pinch bolt and then the axle bolt or the other way around?"

The simple answer is, axle bolt first and then the pinch bolt. This will ensure the axle has been pulled all the way through both forks before being locked down on the (for Vulcans) right side.

The CORRECT way which takes just a few more minutes is as follows:

To ensure your fork tubes travel up and down smoothly without one being slightly higher than the other, tighten the large axle nut to the manufacturers spec but leave the clamp bolt loose.

With the wheel butted against something solid (wall, garage door, cabinet...) repeatedly pump the front end up and down as far and fast as you can both pushing and lifting on the handlebar at least half a dozen times. DO NOT use the front brake because the calipers clamping on the disks might prevent the legs from centering themselves. This procedure will align the fork tubes for the smoothest possible operation.

When you're finished with the above tighten the pinch bolt to specs and go ride with your forks riding at exactly the same height, possibly for the first time ever

I read this tip and its straight forward. My concercern is when I tighten the axel nut bolt to the correct torque, a 1/8"" space developes on the opposite side between the fork and inner spacer. (Not between the pinch clamp and fork) IS THIS NORMAL ??? . I just had the bearings replaced.

Thank you for the quick response.

I am still uncomfortable with that space. (being a newbie and not understanding how that all works.)
I keep thinking I have one of the spacers in the wrong place and a possible wheel mis-alignment

I dont your word Glider, I just need to look at another bike .

Thanks Dan

Nothing to worry about. I have had the same space more than once.

I took the the front axle out again and had a look at it and as usual Glider you were right. Nothing to worry about.
I did not realize there was a ridge on the right side of the axle that holds everything in place when you tight up axle nut to 50 ftlbs.
Even got .005" end play..:):):):):):):):)

As a side note, I tried to tighten the pinch bolts first , then tighten the axle nut.

Bad deal... Unless you seat the front axle first with a rubber mallet, you risk pulling in the front right fork as you tighten the axle nut and risk damage to the fork.

One wheel down, one more to go tomorrow

:):):):):):):):)

Glad you got a handle on it!:naughty

You can really tweak the front end if you tighten the pinch bolts first. It will bind as you ride.

Glider,
I have the same 1/8th space on my 06 FXDCI. Could there be a difference in the spacers as far as length? The parts book lists two different part numbers, but in the manual it's listed as only "spacers" and makes no distinction between left and right.
Thanks,
Don

Double check the spacers, some bikes have different length spacers on either side. They also should be installed the proper way too with the beveled end towards the bearing.

Back