1/8" space when tighten Axle nut

Discussion in 'Wheels' started by dangerdan, Aug 2, 2008.

1. dangerdan

dangerdan Junior Member

I read this tip and its straight forward. My concercern is when I tighten the axel nut bolt to the correct torque, a 1/8"" space developes on the opposite side between the fork and inner spacer. (Not between the pinch clamp and fork) IS THIS NORMAL ??? . I just had the bearings replaced.

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

Nothing to worry about. I have had the same space more than once.

3. dangerdan

dangerdan Junior Member

Thank you for the quick response.

I am still uncomfortable with that space. (being a newbie and not understanding how that all works.)
    I keep thinking I have one of the spacers in the wrong place and a possible wheel mis-alignment

I dont your word Glider, I just need to look at another bike .

Thanks Dan

4. dangerdan

dangerdan Junior Member

I took the the front axle out again and had a look at it and as usual Glider you were right. Nothing to worry about.
    I did not realize there was a ridge on the right side of the axle that holds everything in place when you tight up axle nut to 50 ftlbs.
    Even got .005" end play..:):):):):):):):)

As a side note, I tried to tighten the pinch bolts first , then tighten the axle nut.

Bad deal... Unless you seat the front axle first with a rubber mallet, you risk pulling in the front right fork as you tighten the axle nut and risk damage to the fork.

One wheel down, one more to go tomorrow

:):):):):):):):)

5. glider

glider Veteran Member

Glad you got a handle on it!:naughty

You can really tweak the front end if you tighten the pinch bolts first. It will bind as you ride.

6. 06SuperG

06SuperG Member

Glider,
    I have the same 1/8th space on my 06 FXDCI. Could there be a difference in the spacers as far as length? The parts book lists two different part numbers, but in the manual it's listed as only "spacers" and makes no distinction between left and right.
    Thanks,
    Don

7. glider

glider Veteran Member

Double check the spacers, some bikes have different length spacers on either side. They also should be installed the proper way too with the beveled end towards the bearing.