free website stats program 0il filter preloading? | Harley Davidson Forums

0il filter preloading?

caseyleiser

was at the dealer yesterday talking about doing my own oil changes and such. He said to me to make sure I preload the oil filter before installing. I do this on my diesel pickup but havent done it on any bike I,ve owned. Seems it would be a pretty messy operation if it has to be done.. Any of you heard of this?

yep fill it up with about 1/4th to 1/2 full let it soak in about 10 mins then put it on real fast normally not more than a drop spilled

yep fill it up with about 1/4th to 1/2 full let it soak in about 10 mins then put it on real fast normally not more than a drop spilled

You "preload" the filter with oil making sure that the element is wet, partially filled filter allows oil pump to fill quickly without too much "air cavitation". A dry filter element and empty filter cavity worst case could cause the pump to lose "prime" momentarily...like a siphon hose that picks up too much air, delaying fresh oil flow and full pressure to build the lubricating film around critical components during the first 20 or 30 seconds after an engine is started and idling at 900 RPM or so on your big bore, high performance/compression Harley engine. :23:

Last edited:
I've always performed my own maintenance going on 25 years now ... guess I've never run into it before. Interesting concept though, I have to admit. I always buy the service manual in addition to reading the MOM, funny how sometime even those two will vary.

Something I have done since high school working on my own truck. Still fill up the filter, let it settle, then quickly attempt to screw it on without making too big of a mess. Sometimes I get lucky.:khee

Same here....load it up to almost halfway....and when its on the jiffy stand I don't spill any....just a couple drops maybe from over doing the lub on the gasket...learned about loading a filter under a shade:D tree back in the 60's...lol

thanx for the replies. I guess it makes sense to preload it, would help the pump I think. Even if you just soak the inside good, would probably be enough.

Ya, that is pretty good advice for any internal combustion engine. I have always done it for diesel and autos. In addition to preloading oil filters I always turn them over a few seconds with the plug wires or coil disabled. Somehow starting up with a high idle and no oil in the galleys always seemed it wasn't the perfect combo. I always like to have a belt and suspeders approach.

Hmmmm, learn something every day. No reference to preloading the filter on a 07 EG in my service manual. May try it on the next change but it better not spill or leak or I won't be doing it again.

Ya, that is pretty good advice for any internal combustion engine. I have always done it for diesel and autos. In addition to preloading oil filters I always turn them over a few seconds with the plug wires or coil disabled. Somehow starting up with a high idle and no oil in the galleys always seemed it wasn't the perfect combo. I always like to have a belt and suspeders approach.

I heard about disabling the ignition and cranking before, but that was way back my old automovtive days.

If you do so nowadays be sure the spark plug or coil wiring is grounded (ground them thru long bolts to the frame, so high output voltages do not damage secondary windings in coil or backfeed inductive spikes to sensitive solid state ignition/trigger circuitry downstream). :newsmile031:

Back