free website stats program 09RK cranks but no spark | Harley Davidson Forums

09RK cranks but no spark

Hello all. I just joined the forum; I figured it was time since I have been reading a lot here for awhile.
I have an 09 FLHR that I bought in November up here north of the border. Needless to say, I only got 500 miles on it before the roads got covered in snow. I removed the battery and connected it to a battery tender for the winter.
I got itchy to add a tachometer to it and installed a DAGMARS Tach with shift light (similar to HD mini-tach). I ran into the infamous 'missing pink wire' (tach signal), and read here where this pink wire in no longer - (as of 2004 ?). I connected a new pin to the ecm plug into position 3 and wired the tach successfully. When I installed the battery and tried to start the bike; it cranked fine, but no spark. I tested with a test plug and a voltage tester ( the pen type that glows and beeps when a voltage is detected. NO spark voltage.
I checked all fuses, connections at and around the battery, tried starting with tach disconnected; still no spark. Also, important to know is ; absolutely NO diag error codes. I inspected the ecm connector where I added the pin, and it all looks fine.
If you have any ideas before I go the the HD Dealer with my tail between my legs, I would welcome it.

P.S. my next posts will be shorter, lol.

OK I'll check the connector again, but it seemed ok . No - the bike never started since I had the battery out in December. I wish I would have tried to start it BEFORE I did the tach, to rule this out. But such is life; win / lose.
I'll read up on the password reset; this is new to me. Seems funny that this is needed after disconnecting the battery. I don't remember any password?

I'm old school, carb/coils/jets that kinda thing, but I am also into electronics and like it as well; unfortunately NOT HD EFI ECM .....yet !

OK I'll check the connector again, but it seemed ok . No - the bike never started since I had the battery out in December. I wish I would have tried to start it BEFORE I did the tach, to rule this out. But such is life; win / lose.
I'll read up on the password reset; this is new to me. Seems funny that this is needed after disconnecting the battery. I don't remember any password?

I'm old school, carb/coils/jets that kinda thing, but I am also into electronics and like it as well; unfortunately NOT HD EFI ECM .....yet !

It's not a "password" as you refer to, it's the communication of the various parts in the system so they "talk" to each other (TSSM, ECM etc). If they don't "talk" to each other, the bike doesn't run. It shouldn't be necessary with removal of just the battery, however the ECM was disconnected too breaking the communications, stranger things have happened.

How about the fuel pump?..Do you hear it cycle to charge the system when you turn the switch on?

Just re reading your post, you mentioned you used the #3 opening in the ECM plug, recheck that too and make sure you got the right opening and you aren't shorting out the ignition in the incorrect plug position. Also look over that lead to the tach to make sure it's not grounded out or hooked up wrong at the tach.

Just a thought.

lots of feedback , thanks. Funny - I tried to listen for a fuel pump activation when I switched to 'RUN' ; didn't hear it. Probably NO SPARK OR FUEL !
I have VMAX ricer that has a very disinct fuel pump sound.

I tried the 'password reset' - The procedure stalled out on step 5 where it states that 'the security lamp will light up and stay on' ; this doesn't happen , it go's out soon after step 4. I not sure if this matching is an issue ?

Yes, I will get out a magnifying glass and double-check the ecm connector !

OK gents. I have domestic things to take care of...gotta go...I'll get back yo you soon with my findings....solution. Love this forum.

Koodos to you all. Later.

I wanted to update those that helped on this thread. I think I screwed up wiring to position 3 on the ecm. By the way this supposed pin #3 actually corresponds to pin #29 on the ecm. Some threads that I read actually mean pin #3 on the speedo connector, but say ecm.
So having said that Pin#29 is correct; BUT is it correct for an 09 ?
I wonder about this . The signals are all serial bus from what I read. In hindsight, I should have gone to pin #3 of the speedo. I think the speedo gets the ecm info via serial bus and then outputs a usable tach signal via pin #3.
I may have done some damage by connecting to pin #29 at the ecm.
What a bummer - I don't think I'll go after market again. Too many issues especially when dealing with electrical , serial buses, ecm, etc.

More later - looks like a trip to the dealer is my only option.

P.s. the tssm-ecm relearn still does not act at all like the procedure says. Maybe more changes on the 09 ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back