free website stats program '09 Wheels on '08 Tourning? | Harley Davidson Forums

'09 Wheels on '08 Tourning?

Harleyjohn54

I would like to put an '09 wheel on my '08 Roadglide, front that is. I know that the rear wheel s too wide but I really like the style of the 09 wheel. I would go with a solid wheel on the back, who cares, you can't see it anyway.
Anyway, I know it's a 17" but it will probably fit under the fender, the axles are the same, the sliders are the same, I just can't figure out why they won't fit. Harley says they won't fit but I'm thinking they will unless there is something going on that I don't know about, can anyone answer my question?

thx
John

The only possible reason that it won't work that I can think of would be my concern about clearance on the front fender. The 2008 fender may not accomodate that 17" front tire/wheel that the 2009 RGs carry. 2008s use a 16" wheel up front so it might have a narrower fender. That should be pretty easy to tell for sure. Measure your 2008 front fender and then compare it with a 2009 front fender in the showroom. If is not the fender width, then it would be above my pay grade. Not too uncommon in this day and age I note.

If you have ABS brakes you have to careful changing wheel sizes as this can mess with the speed sensors that control the braking. Best to check with the dealer on this one.

Nope, no ABS. I guess the only way to really know is to pull the old wheel off and try the '09 wheel. The difference in overall diameter is probably going to be minimal.....maybe 3/8" if that, it will be close. I'll keep you posted.

The wheel will fit the bike. The only difference would be in the bearings. The abs wheels have 25mm abs bearings. The non-abs wheels have 1" bearings if I'm not mistaken. Other than that you should not have any problems at all. Good luck!

Wasn't sure if it was the axle or the bearings that would need to be changed out. New it was one or the other. I went with other:)

I have an 03 Road King, I came across a set of 08 Street Glide wheels cheap. I asked the dealer about fitment , they said no can do! A little research and I figured out that a simple bearing change was all.I even bought the bearings from the dealer.He was very humble and surprised! Just because their book said no doesn't mean its final. Do a little research and take some measurements and you might be pleasantly surprised.

Back