free website stats program 09 Ultra rush mufflers K&N do i need efi controller? | Harley Davidson Forums

09 Ultra rush mufflers K&N do i need efi controller?

I have an 09 ultra classic and I have Rush Slipons (15301-175) and I will be installing a K&N Filter (RK-3930) I don't have an EFI Controller on my bike. Will I need one or not.

If it's just a K&N filter going in the stock air box you're ok, but if you change the whole filter assembly to a free breathing set up you will need ether a downlod, fueler or a tuner, but you would get a performance gain with the later set up.

This is only my opinion and others may vary. IMHO you need an EFI controller even if you leave the bike stock. They already come lean from the factory.

When you start changing things and allowing more air in and more air out, it gets even leaner.

The question to me is the cost of an efi controller worth the added security of knowing that If I make a run up into the mountains am I going to make it home or burn a hole in my pistons?

I realize with the economy being the way it is people are trying to save a few pennies and things like the SERT are kind of expensive....but so is the bike.

I would rather spend another few hundred on my several thousand dollar bike now to prevent having to spend several more thousands later should it be running too lean and hot. Personally, for me I would not even mess around with an EFI fueler although many will argue.

Do it right or leave it alone, something I picked up from my dad somewhere along the way.

As mentioned others opinions will vary quite drastically, with my CVO Fatboy I had over 36,000 invested in the bike, whats another grand one way or another to have a SERT and a custom map made for me on the dyno?

Maybe you can get by with a race fueler, the question to me becomes for how long? Will you possibly need to rebuild the engine sooner than if it was mapped correctly by a professional? I don't know the answer and I for one am not going to be the "tester".

A LOT OF RIDERS HERE SUGGEST THE DOBECK "TFI"

Very simple unit to INSTALL...
It works great and USUALLY the suggested settings that come with the unit work wonders on the stock TOO LEAN harley....

Partial or Full stage one (exhaust & air) TFI gives your bike the MUCH NEEDED benefit of the PROPER FUEL RATIOS...

check it out under TFI and read a lot of information on the unit under self help..

It list around 255$ and check out to see IF you qualify for a discount.

signed....BUBBIE

I ran the SE pipes and hi-flow intake with no problems whatsoever for about 6 months. Then I added the TFI, the bike runs cooler and yes it runs much better. You can easily tell the difference. It's worth the money.You won't regret it.:newsmile093:

Back