free website stats program 09 Ultra Classic Lean Angle | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

09 Ultra Classic Lean Angle

Thanks all for the great info, I'm going to call Monday and get a fix for my 09 Ultra. I'm fairly stout and the bike still makes the hemorroids ache when standing her up.

B-1B_Guy, I think you will find the new bracket to be a real improvement, especially when you are parked on any kind of an incline. You'll lessen the chance of a hernia and you won't have to ask your buddies to help you get the bike upright.

i took the print out to the dealer today. they said no problem. i will call and make an appointment to have it done

thanks to all for doing the foot work on this.

The lean angle issue also applies to 09 Road Glides. The explanation that I got was that H-D didn't change the jiffy stand bracket when they changed the frame on the 09 touring models. This causes the bike to lean over more, which makes it difficult to stand the bike up especially on uneven ground.

So what you're saying is that the jiffy stand bracket on the '09 is the same as the '08 and because the '09 frame changed the bike leans over more? That kind of throws me off kilter. I would have assumed that since the '09 is lower, the bike would stand up more... sort of like a '08 that has been lowered. Was the location of the bracket changed significantly, does anyone know?

So what you're saying is that the jiffy stand bracket on the '09 is the same as the '08 and because the '09 frame changed the bike leans over more? That kind of throws me off kilter. I would have assumed that since the '09 is lower, the bike would stand up more... sort of like a '08 that has been lowered. Was the location of the bracket changed significantly, does anyone know?

If you have one of the earlier manufactured 2009 Touring bikes in all likelyhood it has the incorrect jiffy stand bracket installed. Remember that the 2009 models have new frames and more importantly new 1" higher tires, so there are going to be some problems using some of the older 2008 parts. As near as I can figure out they had not received the new 2009 jiffy stand brackets when they first started assemblying the first of the 2009 models. The brackets look the same for the most part.

Rather than hold up shipping of the new bikes they elected to ship them and hope nobody complained (my explanation, not theirs). Well, you know how that goes. There were complaints especially amongst the riders who are a little longer in the tooth than some of the younger dudes. So, they are making what they call a "Goodwill upgrade". If someone complains, the MOCO will send out one of the 2009 brackets which raises the bike up 1 1/4". The easiest way to tell if you have a 2008 bracket on your 2009 is to take your finger and place it on the backside of the top of the bracket. If it is smooth back there, you have a 2008 version and are eligible for the 2009 version. If you reach behind the bracket with your finger and can feel a part number stamped into the metal, you have the correct 2009 model and don't need anything more. Harley uses a little bit more sophistication, as they punch your VIN number into the computer to see when it was born. If your bike was born before a certain date they know you have the old style bracket. They won't let you take it home to put it on because they get paid twenty minutes to do it and then charge the MOCO for labor. I am not sure but I am guessing that when the MOCO pays a dealer for labor they don't come anywhere near paying them as much as we retail suckers do. Only a thought.
As far as it being a worthwhile upgrade I will have to say it definitely is. The bike is much easier for us old dudes to stand up now.

Appreciate your post. I've been upset with the lean on my 09 Ultra Classic and didn't realize anything could be done. I called the CS phone number you provided and they gave me a WO#. Just like you said, the Little Rock store acted like they weren't aware of this option/fix. Even after I gave them the WO#, it still took them nearly 2 weeks before the acknowledged they would perform the modification. It's been another 2 weeks and I'm still waiting for them to call me. They claim they're waiting for the part(s). But, I'll stay on them. Thanks!

If you have any problem just talk to Bob. He is the decision maker in the service dept. He has been good to me. Very good to me. :D
I actually had mine done at the North Little Rock store, but I have moved my business to the Little Rock store since then.

Last edited:
I am off to the dealer tomorrow. I have the copy of the service bulletin in hand, and hope this will get the bike up where it is easier to stand up, been fighting this since I bought my 09 t, but just thought the Ultra was just that much heavier then my Dyna. Thanks to everyone for getting this information out.

Back