free website stats program 09 ultra classic engine cuts off while driving for app. 5 sec.then restarts. no codes | Harley Davidson Forums

09 ultra classic engine cuts off while driving for app. 5 sec.then restarts. no codes

rben210

I am new to this form and have searched it for post related to my problem but have not found any. I would welcome any help.

The engine will cut off while ridding just like someone used the stop switch. it has always restarted, sometimes before I can pull to the side of the road. All the lights and gauges are normal.
It does it with a full tank of gas also. There are no codes. I have performed a wiggle test on the harness and cannot duplicate the problem at idle.
Thanks, rben210

Have you done any mods to the bike lately? You may want to open up the start/stop switch and check for corrosion on the connections.

No mods and that is a good place to start. Where can I find a wiring diagram on the start/stop switch? Could it also be a short in that harness?
Thanks for the reply.

The circut breaker getting warm and then cooling off has been a problem in the past.
I bought an extra ($6) to carry in case I or a fellow rider has the same problem.

No mods and that is a good place to start. Where can I find a wiring diagram on the start/stop switch? Could it also be a short in that harness?
Thanks for the reply.
You can find all you need in the self help section. Yes anything is possible as far as having a short. It seems to me I read a thread recently about someone having the same issue as you and it turned out to be corrosion build up on the contacts with the start/stop switch.

The circut breaker getting warm and then cooling off has been a problem in the past.
I bought an extra ($6) to carry in case I or a fellow rider has the same problem.

I thought circuit breaker too but he said that he never loses lights or gauges. If the circuit breaker opens, you lose it all. Albeit for maybe a very short time period.

Not exactly sure on your model but somewhere in front of the battery. Follow the Positive lead form the battery, eventually you will come to it.

Looks like this

Attachments

• Harley CB.jpg
    Harley CB.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
If you haven't already checked, make sure the battery connections are tight and corrosion free.

I had a similar experience with a 2008 and with a 2011.
Fortunately I was using a power commander auto tune system and asked the guys at dyno jet research. They directed me to the connector harness to the ECM indicating the large pin in the ecm was the main ground. They told me some times with parts made world wide there are some tolerance discrepancy's. The heat generated would cause the pin to move like a by metallic thermostat. They were a couple of methods to make it touch the inner wall of the female connector and then a little die electrical grease. On The 2014 units they have a different ECM and connector system than the Voodoo ECM from the 08 fly by wire throttle body to 2013 . If your gages do not loose power and lights stay on it could not be a fuse or power supply .

Back