free website stats program 09 Street Glide Tire Feathering at 10k | Harley Davidson Forums

09 Street Glide Tire Feathering at 10k

SG Eric

I have a 2009 SG with front tire feathering with only 10K miles on it. I have kept proper PSI on the tires. Anybody have any idea why this happened.

There is a problem with the Dunlop 407F tires. I have not seen it mentioned or discussed here but, it has been extensively discussed in other places.
The 407F is history, and is replaced by the 408F.
the old tire is D407F HD part # 44026-09
the new tire is D408F HD part # 44026-09A
Do a Google search and you will find all kinds of info.

Called Harley Customer Service they told me to contact my dealer. If the dealer agrees this is a defect the will replace at no charge.Thanks for the info, knowledge was the key here. I am not the first with this problem thats why the changed from 407 to the 408. Also called Dunlop the said they have had no problems with 407 Harley only changed because of the specs 407 did not meet there standards. I let you know how things turn out

Sounds a little bit like Wall Street type statement "--without admitting wrong doing xx has agreed to pay...

Only this is a tire manufacturer back peddling..."--in the interest of continuous improvement XX has announced a change in their tire compound to meet higher performance demands for the new 2010 models...

I have a 2009 SG with front tire feathering with only 10K miles on it. I have kept proper PSI on the tires. Anybody have any idea why this happened.
My Dealer replaced my front tire yesterday at no charge. Its an issue on the 09 Street Glides where they tread pattern in backward from the way it was supposed to be. Doesnt match the tread pattern on the rear...Everyone with 09 Street Glide with original front should check thiers.

Is this true for all 09 streetglides and is there a tech tip or something from moco about this I can reference. Thanks for the info in advance.

Is this true for all 09 streetglides and is there a tech tip or something from moco about this I can reference. Thanks for the info in advance.

There is a "ROLLING CHANGE" to the 2009 D-407F tires. Your dealership service dept should have it on file.
Needless to say, neither Dunlop nor Moco are saying the D-407F was "bad" and recalled them... just that the tire was "improved" and released as a D-408F.
Not only is the 407 not recalled, but the "rolling change" info states that all remaing D-407F stock is to be used before releasing the 408's. In fact, the remaing D-407F stock, now has parts number stickers with D-408F on them, with D-407F on the tires.

SOME dealerships are sucking it up, and swapping out tires, but not all.

FYI the Dunlop site says a 41 PSI rating. is correct, so if you have the "right" air pressure per your owner's manual, you're under-inflated.

Went to dealer today and they replaced my front tire free of charge they also discovered that my front bearings were shot.Those also were replaced. Could the 407 be responsible for the bearings. Hey the dealer even gave me a loner while the repaired my SG.

Back