free website stats program '09 Street Bob Front forks | Harley Davidson Forums

'09 Street Bob Front forks

rkf09fxdb

This might be a strange question. Are the front forks supposed to be even in the top of the triple tree? Mine are off by about 1/8th in. Right fork is higher. Just noticed it today when I was putting on the clamps for my windshield. :eam

One fork being higher than the other will throw off the axle as well. Take it back and let the dealer fix it.

Thanks guys! My dealer is about 75 miles away so I don't know if I will tackle this or not. Might be a while before I go to my dealer.

Thanks guys! My dealer is about 75 miles away so I don't know if I will tackle this or not. Might be a while before I go to my dealer.

If you have a torque wrench, good quality torx bits, and a jack, you can easily do this yourself. You will spend more time sitting at stoplights on the way to the dealer than it will take to get the tube height corrected.

Jack up bike so the front wheel is just ready to leave contact with the ground. Secure bike with tie-down straps. Spray WD-40 on tubes above and below trees to lubricate and keep from scratching. Loosen upper and lower pinch bolts. Adjust tube position (height). You may need to slightly raise or lower jack to aid in tube positioning. Tighten pinch bolts to 30-35ft-lbs (41-48 Nm).

If you have a torque wrench, good quality torx bits, and a jack, you can easily do this yourself. You will spend more time sitting at stoplights on the way to the dealer than it will take to get the tube height corrected.

Jack up bike so the front wheel is just ready to leave contact with the ground. Secure bike with tie-down straps. Spray WD-40 on tubes above and below trees to lubricate and keep from scratching. Loosen upper and lower pinch bolts. Adjust tube position (height). You may need to slightly raise or lower jack to aid in tube positioning. Tighten pinch bolts to 30-35ft-lbs (41-48 Nm).

Right, and the book should have the spec on how much tube to leave above the upper bracket. I think on mine ('91 Dyna) it is 1/2", but that is from memory and NOT reliable. I would have to check too.

TQ

Right, and the book should have the spec on how much tube to leave above the upper bracket. I think on mine ('91 Dyna) it is 1/2", but that is from memory and NOT reliable. I would have to check too.

TQ
That is correct to maintain stock specs. The manual calls for .450 - .500 exposed above the upper tree. A lot of guys are sliding the tubes higher in the trees to compensate for lowered rear ends. Same height on bath sides is most important factor.

Got it fixed! Did it myself this weekend. Jacked the front end up, loosened up the clamps on the left side and the tube went up in no time. Saved me a trip.

Back