free website stats program '09 ST Deluxe or '09 RK | Harley Davidson Forums

'09 ST Deluxe or '09 RK

Ken S.

Some of you know I've been in love with the softail deluxe, but I've also been looking at the Road King. I love, love the looks of the ST deluxe, but like the pipe placement and passenger floorboards on the Road King, and the 6 gal. tank versus the 5 on the deluxe. I'm now leaning toward the Road king for my wife's comfort/ pipe heat and passenger floorboards. The price is so close between the two that it doesn't matter. STdeluxe is 17,499 the Road King is
16,999 not counting the delivery cost et al.

I may be wrong, but the deluxe is more than likely a little more dressed out.
I don't plan to do any extra customizing.

Which one will ride better?
96b engine?
We plan to make some longer trips.

Can anyone tell me any other differences that might help me decide which bike I should get.

Thanks, Ken

If you are looking at long trips, I would go with the Road King. If you get the Road King Classic, you can still have a nostalgic look that you would get with the Deluxe.

The Deluxe would do fine long distance with the counter-balanced 96B motor but long distance wise, the air ride suspension of the Road King will be more appreciated.

Plus, with the Road King Classic, electronic cruise control comes standard. You cannot get that on a softail, and that is something that I love on long trips. You also get the detachable leather covered saddle bags standard, which you can add to the Deluxe but no where near the size.

Also, the upgrades in 2009 for the touring models make it a great decision. A new two piece frame, new exhaust make it less heat, more room for the passenger, less vibration due to an extra engine mount and so on.

Overall with what you described you were looking for, get a Road King Classic, put a sundowner seat with a detachable backrest on it, and ride down the open road. :)

electronic cruise control is a gift from god on trips helpd with the speed ticket too :)

The cruise control was some of the best money I have spent on my EG and some of Gliders most frustrating moments with a newbie:D

I thought about that luggage problem, Smitty. I know what you mean. She'd take up both bags and I'd get the sissy bar bag.

I guess if I'm doing it I better do it up right the first time.

That's just it. By the time you stick all the money into the Deluxe that you need to so that it's set up how you want it, you will have spent two grand more then the Road King (if not more) and you still wouldn't have cruise and air ride suspension.

That's just it. By the time you stick all the money into the Deluxe that you need to so that it's set up how you want it, you will have spent two grand more then the Road King (if not more) and you still wouldn't have cruise and air ride suspension.

When I started to compare the two bikes I knew I was in love with the looks of the ST deluxe instead of the functions that the RK had already, for less money.

Yep that can definatly be a factor to. I know you said you didn't plan to accessorize, but you do look at the Road King, I would really suggest the sundowner seat and the dethachable backrest with luggage rack at least.

Yep that can definatly be a factor to. I know you said you didn't plan to accessorize, but you do look at the Road King, I would really suggest the sundowner seat and the dethachable backrest with luggage rack at least.

Yeah, I'm sure to do some comfort mods, but not a dress-up stuff.

Nice bag smitty. That's what I was thinking.

I do want cruise control.

Pretty much seals the deal. Someone make HD cruise for the Softails, but pics I've seen with it mounted it is pretty obtrusive.

I'd rather have it factory installed, and make it their responsibility to repair if problems. Yep, pretty much settles it.

Back