free website stats program 09 Softail Night Train | Harley Davidson Forums

09 Softail Night Train

rcwheelman

I'm new to the forum and HD. I've previously owned nothing but Honda and Yamaha cycles. From my first bike which was an 82 Honda Nighthawk 550, which I quickly grew out of. Second bike, which was a 90 something Yamaha YZ 600 sport bike, which I quickly got rid of due to the amount of tickets I was accumulating. :D The Last bike I purchased was in the spring of 2002. It was at a time where I was just getting into the dream of owning a Harley but not being able to afford one. So I decided to go the cheap way out and stuck with what I new best, and stayed with the Japanese scene. I purchased a 2002 Honda Shadow A.C.E. VT 750 with a Blue Motiff paint scheme, and a ton of chrome. The bike looked like a replica of a modern softail classic stock on the showroom floor. So I decided to take it a few steps further and added a full shield, mustang seat w/back rest, duel road lights with accompanying hoods for all 3 lights, and a set of straight pipes. After I was done, the bike really looked like a Harley. But upon close inspection the bike, the Shadow emblem and Honda stamp vividly made the distinction evident. Not to mention even by putting the straight pipes on the bike, she never had the patented harley sound that so many desire.

So I rode her, for 8700 miles. 7 years later, still not satisfied on my Honda. Every day I rode her I would see true Harley's cruising by leaving the ground trembling behind in their wake. I was in position and ready to make the hurtle to becoming a true Harley owner. I immediately went to the closest Harley dealer upon this revelation, and proceeded to shop for my first Harley. I knew that I didn't want a bike with a lot of chrome, because of all the slaving hours I put into keeping the chrome on my Honda in showroom condition for 7 years. My Father use to tell me that I cleaned it more than I rode it. Which was true, but their was a lot of satisfaction when I was done, and finally took it on the road.

With that in mind I immediately found the softail Night Train. I didn't see any other bike in the entire 2 floor dealership. This bike stood out like a 1000 watt bulb in the dark. My mind made up I found the dealer, made the deal, and I am now the proud owner of a new 2009.

I proceeded to take care of everything of importance right from the dealership. I added pipes, performance tuner, risers, and performance screaming eagle air cleaner.

Now its all a waiting game. The dealership has informed me that the bike will be ready to roll out on this coming Monday.

While I wait I've been doing a lot of research on the bike from previous years. Since that is the only real reviews I could find, which were from 2000 to 2007 models of the night train. I found myself here on HD Talking.
I had hoped to find someone that owns a 2009 that would be able to share their experience with me.

I did visit my new harley this past Friday after work to check on her status, and one of the service writers saw my excitement and guided me into the shop to see her for the first time with the new cleaner and pipes.

Already with only those two differences the bike looks more customed out to my liking than I would have ever imagined. The stock pipes were chrome which were replaced by power coat black 2 into 2 drag pipes with chrome tips. and the air cleaner alone adds a big custom impact to the bike as well.

When they started it up for me, I could swear my heart stopped.
I was indeed speechless. My old bike never came close to the sound that my harley produced in that moment.

sorry that I don't have pictures to post yet. but when I do I'll be sure to add them right away. Which probably won't take that long ;)

I'm glad I found this site, and also to be a part of the Harley Davidson world finally.. :newsmile106:

Hey rc,welcome from South Jersey.Replicas of Harleys are just not Harleys.Glad you joined the club and good luck with the new ride!

I'm only 5'4 and I reach them fine. maybe I have long legs and a short torso.
Shrugs. I sat on the bike and my reach is just fine. I had forward controls on my honda too. :newsmile036:
How do I change my mood btw? haven't figured that out yet.

Congrats and welcome.....I can remember how excited I was when I got my first harley...a Night Train by the way.

Last edited:
Welcome!! Being a Night Train owner, I think you will be very happy with your choice. ENJOY!!!!

congrats and welcome!
i know exactly how you feel - i felt the same way when I picked up my night train. always nice to have another 'train enthusiast around! you will love it.

congrats and welcome!
i know exactly how you feel - i felt the same way when I picked up my night train. always nice to have another 'train enthusiast around! you will love it.

I rode it home today in the rain. It started raining as soon as I left. and you were right! although it was raining I still loved it, and love it! Didn't have alot of time to ride but the short ride I had from the dealer to my house was fantastic. I can't wait until thursday when the sun is out and its 60 degrees!

Back