free website stats program 09 roadking police model | Harley Davidson Forums

09 roadking police model

fattyboy

I have a 09 roadking and the head light and tail light shut off for a few days and then it will start working again.Any ideas.:60:

Bad relay or a bad connection somewhere. You will have to follow the circuit and test for ohms and voltage loss at each point/connection. It will take time and patience, but it can be fixed. You will need a manual for specifications, but the relay is where i would start. Also, do all of the lights go off? Or is it just the headlight and tail light. That might narrow it down a bit.

Last edited:
Bad relay or a bad connection somewhere. You will have to follow the circuit and test for ohms and voltage loss at each point/connection. It will take time and patience, but it can be fixed. You will need a manual for specifications, but the relay is where i would start. Also, do all of the lights go off? Or is it just the headlight and tail light. That might narrow it down a bit.
Its just the head light and tail light,All other lights work.

That is good (well kind of) you just narrowed it down to that circuit and can eliminate quite a bit of trouble shooting. EG; The problem is after a certain point in that circuit where the running lights are seperated from the tail and headlight. Unfortunately for the time being, I cannot help you anymore. You need a schematic to go from here. If you get one or anyone else has one to scan in, I can help some more. Until then though, anything else is just a guess and would be a waste of time.
If I could ask one thing of you though, when all is said and done, could you post on here what the problem turned out to be and how you fixed it? If everyone did this, we would save each other so much time with the guess work. Thanks in advance!!!

:):)What i found was a bad conn.at the back of fuse block.It had some kind of white powder on terms.cleaned terms. plugged relay back in havent had problum since.I think its from washing the bike,I will have to cover the side cover when i was the bike,thanks for the info.you were right(BAD CONN.)

:):)What i found was a bad conn.at the back of fuse block.It had some kind of white powder on terms.cleaned terms. plugged relay back in havent had problum since.I think its from washing the bike,I will have to cover the side cover when i was the bike,thanks for the info.you were right(BAD CONN.)

Great, thanks for responding with what it was. There is one other thing you can do to prevent this from happening again. Get some di-electric grease from parts store and coat the terminals with this. It will prevent that corrosion (white stuff, sometimes green) from reforming on that connection. As a rule of thumb, whenever I work with electrical connections that could be exposed to the elements, I put a light coating of that grease on the connections as I am putting them back together. Obviously you want to make sure they are clean with some emory cloth, wire brush etc. I personally use a Dremel.

Great, thanks for responding with what it was. There is one other thing you can do to prevent this from happening again. Get some di-electric grease from parts store and coat the terminals with this. It will prevent that corrosion (white stuff, sometimes green) from reforming on that connection. As a rule of thumb, whenever I work with electrical connections that could be exposed to the elements, I put a light coating of that grease on the connections as I am putting them back together. Obviously you want to make sure they are clean with some emory cloth, wire brush etc. I personally use a Dremel.

This should be in the self help section, as our bikes are in the elements and more exposed than sealed water tight cages, every electrical connection including light bulb sockets could gain from a light coating of dilectric grease. All my bikes have had this from day one I dont like surprises, and an added bonus is the connections will come a part easier with this applied JMO

This should be in the self help section, as our bikes are in the elements and more exposed than sealed water tight cages, every electrical connection including light bulb sockets could gain from a light coating of dilectric grease. All my bikes have had this from day one I dont like surprises, and an added bonus is the connections will come a part easier with this applied JMO

very good point Jack. i was looking on Craig's list at some of the deals and went to look at them. most of the bikes were by the coast, and the folks said that they were in mint conditions. Then you get there after driving 2 or 3 hours to find out they have been sitting outside in the salt air for years. connections all corroded not to mention what it did to some of that nice chrome. really is a shame, one was a 98 Heritage that i could of fallen for. only had 8k on it

not a good deal after all, but all you can do is say "no thanks" and drive back the 2 or 3 hrs

Back