free website stats program 09 Primary Capacity - is manual accurate? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

09 Primary Capacity - is manual accurate?

I measured mine and found it a little low from dealer prep will add correct amount from now on

34 ounces in mine drained out and 34 ounces put back in.
Put in Klotz "Synthetic Primary Chain Case Lubricant".
It says that it is a GL 5 and SAE 80W/90.
It says that it is "custom formulated for the Harley Davidson engine", and that it meets or exceeds all warranty requirements. It goes on to say that it "penetrates deep into chain rollers to loosen stiff links and extend chain and sprocket life. Hmmmm, interesting...

Forgive my lack of knowledge on this....but is the "self-adjuster" a feature that came out after the 2007 model year?

EDIT - oops - this was to be a reply to Glider and his quote - the forum timed me out for some reason and I had to log back on to send and that's when I noticed the error??? sorry.

My factory shop manual and owners manual both indicate 32oz. for the primary (2007 FXSTC).
Glider, didn't I read here somewhere, that too much or too little (cant recall which) oil in the primary may be cause for poor shifting and difficulty finding neutral? IF so, those few ounces just might make a difference - right? I know my manual says the capacity of the primary is 26 ounces but I drained out 32 ounces. I replaced the oil with 26 ounces just like the book said. Now who's right - me or the dealer that put 32 in? AND should I go ahead and add about 4-6 more ounces to the primary? BTW, I posted this elsewhere here - but, the manual says BOTH - approx. 26 ozs AND - capacity of 32 ounces for the primary - I guess the HD manual is sorta like an ASME CODE book - written to make confusion. IF the truth be known, it probably doesn't make too much difference if its 26 or 32 ounces or anything in between. You know, it says my fuel tank has 5.0 gal capacity. But when filling, you fill to the top and its full regardless of how many gallons you put in it. BUT, IF it was truly empty - 5 gals should be the capacity - not 4.6-5.4 gallons. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Bill

Last edited:
Glider, didn't I read here somewhere, that too much or too little (cant recall which) oil in the primary may be cause for poor shifting and difficulty finding neutral? IF so, those few ounces just might make a difference - right? I know my manual says the capacity of the primary is 26 ounces but I drained out 32 ounces. I replaced the oil with 26 ounces just like the book said. Now who's right - me or the dealer that put 32 in? AND should I go ahead and add about 4-6 more ounces to the primary? BTW, I posted this elsewhere here - but, the manual says BOTH - approx. 26 ozs AND - capacity of 32 ounces for the primary - I guess the HD manual is sorta like an ASME CODE book - written to make confusion. IF the truth be known, it probably doesn't make too much difference if its 26 or 32 ounces or anything in between. You know, it says my fuel tank has 5.0 gal capacity. But when filling, you fill to the top and its full regardless of how many gallons you put in it. BUT, IF it was truly empty - 5 gals should be the capacity - not 4.6-5.4 gallons. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Bill

I'M NOT GLIDER, but IMO

MY 2000 dyna uses 26/28 oz. in primary

DON"T confuse years and DIFFERENT models....THE 96 cu in bikes ARE DIFFERENT.....

the earlier bikes like OURS used 26/28 ozs. the LAZY changer added the FULL 32 oz.

I know a few mechanics who ADD THE WHOLE BOTTLE ... SAYING IT DOESN"T HURT and it probably doesn't but MY 2000 dyna BOOK calls out for 26 oz./ to bottom of clutch basket

NOTED : yes TOO MUCH OIL can cause drag on clutch and make shifting difficult...
IF I USE 32 OZ. IN DYNA chain case ... I FEEL THE DRAG....

MY 09 FLHR uses 38 oz. and that I use. (.)

signed....BUBBIE

Bill

Manuals have been wrong before. If the capacity is 26 in the book, add that much and see if it comes to the bottom of the clutch basket. It may be dry and wet fills too referred to. Too much or too little oil in the primary will cause problems either way and don't think that if the dealer put more oil than the manual says that they were right in doing it. They make many mistakes.

Filling Primary/Trans Oil - Harley Davidson Community

BUT, IF it was truly empty - 5 gals should be the capacity - not 4.6-5.4 gallons.

Bill

I have been down that road and I am still looking for my missing .9 gallons.:p
I love my bike but I think HD has problems defining any fluid capacity.
Re-build capacity, re-fill capacity, bike upright, bike on jiffy stand, theoretical empty volume, etc etc. It's enough to make you go crazy.

The manual on the 09 does say 38 oz's. and it also says not to over fill as it will cause trouble finding Nuetral. On my FLHT 32oz's fills the primary to the bottom of the clutch basket while on a level jack and that's as far as I go. I would think that automatic slack adjuster would not be affected by a 4 oz differance...I do know I can find Nue. much easier now than when the bike was new.

Hi I have a 1988 FLT manual said put the oil in till its level with clutch inspection cover, well over 32 oz. I do an inner primary cover leak could the manual be wrong or is it a bad gasket.
Thank you in advance for any thoughts.

JMO

but the engineers that design these units know a bit more than we do.

most times i really think they do not know more than we do . we ride them every day they just design and build. i wanna know if any of them really put real world miles on . i know they test within a building but that anit nothing. till you get out here in the real world. i have found many flaws in this so called they know better.

most times i really think they do not know more than we do . we ride them every day they just design and build. i wanna know if any of them really put real world miles on . i know they test within a building but that anit nothing. till you get out here in the real world. i have found many flaws in this so called they know better.

There is part of R&D that is real world application. But that is usually only a couple of vehicles on a predetermined route. So I agree that there is some short comings both on R&D part but most responsibility lies on the bean counters who force engineers to do some unethical design for cost savings to maximize profits....

Back