free website stats program 09 Primary Capacity - is manual accurate? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

09 Primary Capacity - is manual accurate?

I changed the primary oil in my '07 Tuesday. I drained it into a clean pan, then poured it into the empty qt. bottle after I filled primary. It filled the bottle to overflowing + 5 oz more into a meas. cup (not one of my wife's).
My red sears lift keeps the bike level side to side, but is kinda sensitive about front to rear placement. I lucked out and got it just right when I changed the rear tire.

I always run the amount that is shown in the owners manual. If not you know it will come back to bite you.

I understand running what amount the book says but I thought when in doubt on the amount in the primary the deciding factor was bring it up to the bottom of the basket. Am I confused? Over filled can be as bad as underfilled can it not? Trying to understand.

I'm gonna post these two pages just for those that don't have a manual and might have some doubt.

Attachments

• pg_0001.jpg
    pg_0001.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 58
  • pg_0042.jpg
    pg_0042.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 71
Just to add a little fat to the fire...1 Liter is 33.81 ounces...and that is what I put in to my tranny (Spectrol comes in 1 liter bottles)...and that gets it to the proper clutch basket level. So I would go with "exactly" what gets to the lower clutch basket with the bike level, as there is always an ounce or two in the various cavities anyway, specially on my Sporty which combines tranny, chaincase and clutch...JMHO.

I would think if level was way high, means more likely splashing and foaming causing poor lubrication and improper draining (causes clutch plates to stick on a Sporty) and if way low means not enough oil "slinging" by the gears and bike movement to get lube up into the far corners to lubricate well, but the level plus or minus a couple of ounces either way probably won't make that much of a difference as the motorcycle is constantly tilting and spinning the gears dipped in the oil to be "slung" around well anyways.

Last edited:
There shouldn't be any problems if you fill with the required amount of oil stated in the owners manual or factory manual regardless of the older practices.

Had a little time on my hands this morning so I rode over to dealer ship.
The shop manager Jason is straight up and knows HD no madder what some may say about so called steelers. I ask him to explain the Primary level and amount to add in the TC96 touring bikes.
"The bottom of the basket is the lowest level it should ever be, as long as the bike is straight up and level there is no reason you can not use that as your guide. 38 oz is the correct amount to add." Either way get your service done and ride.

Smitty,
thank you for taking the time to do this. 38 oz is the answer.

Neil

I changed my primary oil yesterday to get the syn3 out, After reading this thread I decided to see how much oil was in mine. I drained it and measured what was in there found 38oz. dealer put that in at the 1000 mile service. so I put 38oz back in.

Mark

Back