free website stats program 09 Night Train | Harley Davidson Forums

09 Night Train

ElGato

Account Removed
Hello Everyone, I am new to the forum and seek advice on my new 09 Night Train which I took delivery on today. I picked the bike up in Naples, Fl. The usual route back to Fort Lauderdale is via Alligator Alley about 100 miles. Since there is a brush fire I had to use Tamianni Trail US 41 through the Southern Evergades to Miami from Naples. Even through this made a 100 mile road trip turn into 160 miles and an additional 1.5 hours of traffic. The upside it gave me a good feel for the bike and I love it. Now to my Question" What would be the proper way to lower the suspension a coupe of inches" I would appreciate and advice that is offered.

Thank you,

El Gato" The Cat

Did you buy it new? I have a friend with an 09 Nightrain, he used the lowering kit. It costs about $25. on eBay. It lowered his by 1.5-2" It extends the shocks which lowers the bike, If you install it yourself don't forget to readjust the drive belt. Good luck and congrats on the new bike. (I live 45 minutes north of Naples)

You can get the kit like this one on ebay but the best way to do it is with good air shocks of which there are many. The next best way is Progressive 422 shocks and then there are the Ultima shocks which is the least expensive besides the lowering kit. The kit will give you a rough ride though. Before you spend any money you may want to take some time and talk to some Independent, or Indy for short, bike shops and more research on the forums.

I agree with the rough ride. If lowering the bike and looks are more important than comfort then lower it.

Thanks Guys", I will go with the progressive 422, the ride is important, great advicw.

next question , the bike is a little quite, I'm thinking going with the V&H big shots staggered and the power commander with the added module for self tuning. Any thoughts on this idea?????

Thank you Kindly'

I think you would like the look and sound of those pipes and if they are a little loud you can put the quiet baffles in.

As far as tuners go you might want to do some more reading to decide on what's best for you. Questions you might ask are: how long you are going to keep the bike, how much control do you want over your tuner, do you plan on doing any upgrades?

Also; with 07 and newer bikes I think it's a waste to put any tuner on it that eliminates the O2 sensors. There's all that high-tech tuning capability and those tuners simply eliminate them.

FWIW I went with the TTS Mastertune and I'm extremely happy with it.

bob, thanks for your imput, I went to the local H.D shop today and they were saying anything I install for the suspension will alter the ride, except if I install their Kit. Do you agree , with the Progressive 422 I will be able to get two inches and not loose the travel and good ride???. To be honest, I am not looking for a hot Rod, I just want to get a better sound and a little better throttle response"", others have said keep away from the S.E tuner.

Thanks

Good choice by someone that of course is biased in his opinion. :D

I added the performance tuner, v&h 2 1/2' drag pipes, screaming eagle performance air cleaner, new handle bars and risers, and I've barely begun to scratch the surface on what else I want to do to her. But so far she is fantastic. Looks, feel, ride, sound, everything about her screams mean.

Here she is updated from factory.

DSC00634.jpg

DSC00632.jpg

Enjoy your new ride I know I am in love with mine.

Wheelman.. thanks for the reply, I am with you and the right choice of bikes. I'm going to keep it simple and before I seen your pics decided on the same air cleaner, the only complaint I have besides needing to lower it, which i'm hoping the stage one will deal with is the throtle response, seems kind of slow. But being retired Harley pro stock drag bike racer ( still have the pro stock its for sale) its night and day different animal. Here's a picture fro last year. Ita a D&G chassis, 120" XL engine with 220 hp to back wheel, FLF body, 5 speed R & D Tranny. 8 second bike. Hope you like it.
Race Bike 002.jpg

Back