free website stats program 09 loud transsmission-help | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

09 loud transsmission-help

Poor manufacturing tolerances is the reason and a trap door that flexes when it should be stiff to keep the shafts in place, again cost cutting measures and let's not forget the plastic bearing retainers either....MADE IN AMERICA of course.

Ever since the 6 speed transmission came out that has been an issue. It is nothing to worry about

Reading this thread from post 1 - I Disagee (respectfully!) with what you have posted !!!! Flakes of metal in the fluid , loud noise from tranny and most of all - getting the run around!!!

I called the Customer Service in Milwaukee and talked to them about the problem and basically was told the whine is normal and happens in some while not in others and they do NOT know why. However they want me to send both videos (one of the whine and one of the oil) to them so I mailed them to them. They will get there tomorrow. I am getting frustrated beyound reason but will have to wait. Oh well must all be my imagination.
Hang in there Hoggy, it ain't your imagination but remember some of the noises Harley's make are just.....well.......normal. They ain't water cooled and the tolances are loose on purpose because of heat, stress and other things. The Tranny on my $30k CVO Roadglide is noisy, the thing clunks when ya start it, it has annoying valve train noise and it gets way too hot for my likeing, but I wouldn't trade it for anything, all that stuff is what gives it personallity. Oh, and uh, that's why I bought an extended warrenty too, just for.

Question for Glider. Where did you find out that Harley is using bearings with plastic retainers? I don't doubt you but it's shear stupidity on HD's part to go that cheap on a few bearings. None of us would even notice the difference in price if added to cost of bike. Maybe that's the black stuff I'm seeing in the oil I drained out of the tranny. Still waiting to get the oil analysis kit to send in to have the oil analyzed.

Just a quick thank you note to Glider for your advise to use Spectro 6 speed trans fluid. I never had any of the 5th gear whine folks talk about but I had a fairly loud clunk every time I shifted gears. The bike now has only a slight sound enough to let you know the trans has shifted. This was the only thing that annoyed me about the bike and now it's great Thanks !!!!

Just a quick follow-up. The factory rep rode my bike today and agreed it was louder than most. When I asked him honestly how it rated with other 1st gear whine he said it was up there with the loudest. He said he'd call other reps and ask them if they'd had any luck quieting the louder 1st gear whine bikes by replacing 1st gear. Hopefully he'll get a positive feedback and I'll get a much quieter 1st gear. People can hear you coming a block away. I told him I've owned 4 harleys and this is the only one I've been embarrased to ride. I don't mind people looking but when they look because the think they're hearing a blown small block Chevy than it's too much. Hopefully it will be resolved soon. I'll post when and if it is.

Back