free website stats program 09 loud transsmission-help | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

09 loud transsmission-help

I am holding onto the oil. I videoed when I changed it and had a friend witness it. I just do not understand why the dealer won't just admit there might be something wrong and insists that because these trannys make a slight whine with the straight cut gears than it has to be normal. After all it does NOT costs the dealer anything to fix this under warranty. The oil obviously was not either changed at the 1000 mile service or not looked at. Either way this dealers service is beyond less than reliable or incompetent for not checking further when I have complained so many times. I have proof for everything so I am not too worried that EVENTUALLY this will be taken care of.

Some dealers are in denial about the problems with these bikes giving answers like "they all do that" and "it's normal" when IT'S NOT!

In any case I would find another dealer that is interested in serving your needs and not telling you stories because they are too lazy or just not interested in doing the big ticket items unless there is a big profit in it for them.
Realize that the MOCO does not pay the dealer their $100+ or so an hour labor fees and this is most of the problem here. The dealers would rather be installing something that would bring in the $100 an hour rather than being compensated a lower rate from the MOCO.
IMO, a dealer like this is not going to fare well with their fancy boutique store once people realize why they don't want to fix something under a warranty from the factory after you spend the big bucks buying the bike from them. To me service should be more important than the sale of the bike because these bikes have more than their share of problems inherent in the newer designs.

JMHO

Some dealers are in denial about the problems with these bikes giving answers like "they all do that" and "it's normal" when IT'S NOT!

In any case I would find another dealer that is interested in serving your needs and not telling you stories because they are too lazy or just not interested in doing the big ticket items unless there is a big profit in it for them.
Realize that the MOCO does not pay the dealer their $100+ or so an hour labor fees and this is most of the problem here. The dealers would rather be installing something that would bring in the $100 an hour rather than being compensated a lower rate from the MOCO.
IMO, a dealer like this is not going to fare well with their fancy boutique store once people realize why they don't want to fix something under a warranty from the factory after you spend the big bucks buying the bike from them. To me service should be more important than the sale of the bike because these bikes have more than their share of problems inherent in the newer designs.

JMHO
Amen..........find another dealer.......fast. If you got metal flakes in your tranny oil, you got serious or even catasrofic problems! I'd hesitate to ride it until I found out what's going on. Tranny lock up ain't pretty, at any speed.

Would there be any kind of warning other than the whining I now hear before the tranny locks up? I would think I'd just strip some gears if it got that bad. If in deed this tranny does lock up on me I'll be owning this dealer. After all I've been told more than once "there's nothing wrong with your motorcycle".

Would there be any kind of warning other than the whining I now hear before the tranny locks up? I would think I'd just strip some gears if it got that bad. If in deed this tranny does lock up on me I'll be owning this dealer. After all I've been told more than once "there's nothing wrong with your motorcycle".
Don't want to scare ya Bro, just be careful. like the Moderators are telling ya, Find a GOOD dealer that has a reputable shop. Someone that works on a lot of bikes, sounds like your dealer isn't responding to your concerns. As far as the whine goes, my 09 CVO whines in 5th gear, but I don't have any flakes or metal in my Tranny oil, it comes out looking like what I put in. Anyway, that's what would concern me and I would Have to get to the bottom of it or I wouldn't trust my bike. Tranny lock is, absolutly, the worst case senario.

Usually but not always you'll hear bearing noises before it progresses further to the point of lockup and I doubt you'll strip the gears but at that point it wouldn't make much difference. Just think how well you could control the bike if you mashed the rear brake on and held it on. That would be about the same result. Have them check it out and by that I don't mean an oil change and get it in writing why the bike was brought in, not for "a shifting problem" is what I'm saying here.

Last edited:
Thanks all,
Believe me I'll be getting to the bottom of it ASAP. Going to call customer service (HD back east, not the dealer) in the morning and talk to them about it. Been on Harley's a long time now (simce 1988). Locked up the rear wheel more than once so I know what to expect. Just wondering the odds of a total tranny lockup. This may take a while and I don't want to park the bike that long.

Where can I get some of that Senco 6

Sorry... dixlexic fingers today.....
where can I get some Spectro 6

Last edited by a moderator:
I called the Customer Service in Milwaukee and talked to them about the problem and basically was told the whine is normal and happens in some while not in others and they do NOT know why. However they want me to send both videos (one of the whine and one of the oil) to them so I mailed them to them. They will get there tomorrow. I am getting frustrated beyound reason but will have to wait. Oh well must all be my imagination.

Back