free website stats program 09 loud transsmission-help | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

09 loud transsmission-help

But, at the end of the day, you will get used to the pitch of the the 1st and 5th gear whine and you won't hear it any more. It is like moving to a new house and the train comes through at 9:05 every night. After a couple of weeks you get used to it and are never aware of it. The train still roll through nightly, you just aren't concious of it anymore.
It is not a weak transmission by any means. It is rare that I ever hear of someone who craters one, unless maybe they have built a super hotrod Harley. Just ride and enjoy your bike. It was engineered with riding in mind.

WELL SAID. Mine was noticeable the first day, but now I don't notice it at all. Sounds like this dude's is WAY louder than what most people experience though, and I would be frustrated too if the dealer gave me the run-around. Good that he is having it checked out.

My point is Motors make noise, Transmissions make noise, and anything that moves and has friction is gonna make noise. Get to know the sound of your bike, that way when something goes wrong you'll know it.

If the new 6spd. tranny indeed has a helical-cut 5th gear, it will be noticeably quieter than previous models. Mine makes noise. Barely audible now that I use the Spectro. But as a truck mechanic, I can testify to the above quote. The guys who drive the same vehicle day after day will pick up on very minute changes in the sound of their truck and alert me so I can find the problem long before it becomes major. These bikes are the same way.:s

True, but in the mean time get rid of the Syn 3 in everything. Red Line make a "POWER PAC 20W60HD" with 5 qts of 20-60, 1 qt. of primary lube, 1 qt of shockproof tranny lube, a bottle of injection cleaner, a cool funnel, a hat and some stickers for your tool box. This whole box o'stuff is designed for air cooled V-twins. I switched and my valve noise went away along with a lot of (not all) tranny wine and clunk. Ya can get it on-line from Red Line.

True, but in the mean time get rid of the Syn 3 in everything. Red Line make a "POWER PAC 20W60HD" with 5 qts of 20-60, 1 qt. of primary lube, 1 qt of shockproof tranny lube, a bottle of injection cleaner, a cool funnel, a hat and some stickers for your tool box. This whole box o'stuff is designed for air cooled V-twins. I switched and my valve noise went away along with a lot of (not all) tranny wine and clunk. Ya can get it on-line from Red Line.

I use and order REDLINE by the case..... On my last order I talked with dave the tec @ redline...... He asked me how often i changed tranny out using shockproof heavy.... I changed @4-6 thousand... He said I could go for a year or two before I needed to change..... Think about it..... no contamination in tranny and NO METAL ON MAGNET .... the lube looks just as fresh com'n out as when i put it in..... I ordered 8 quarts of shockproof and so-far have sold several quarts to my friends..... SIFIHD is one of them.... He started this thread and thanked me for the GOOD quiet results after he changed over to shockproof......

I used to order 20/60 redline just for down in arizona but went back to 20/50 because of the 3 dollar boost in price per quart for the NEW labeling that designates it as air-cooled v-twin..... 20/50 does well for me and at 3$ savings per qt.

Yes I also use the MTL in the chaincase dave also mentioned the need NOT to HAVE to change as often.....

Cost of using redlines fine products and changing at the regular HD sugested mileage is no problem BUT I'm going to lengthen out the tranny and chaincase a bit....

My engine oil temps are running @200* never over...... JAGG side frame mounted cooler and on a 2000 twin-cam BUILT ... 20/50 redline

I did the ROT in austin tx. this year so HEAT was # 1 enemy but not with my set-up...

signed....BUBBIE

Go Bubbie...can I get an AMEN for Redline....... you an me could be Poster children for that stuff. And it gets HOT!!! in Texas don't it?
"I'm gonna Ride till I'm satisfied" Walter Trout & the Radicals

My 09 FLHTCU whines horribly in 1st gear and is not near as bad in 5th. I have complained at 167 miles they said belt too tight. I again complained at 500 miles and the said noise normal. Again at 1000 mile service another mechanic said noise is normal. So I decided to drain and check the trans oil myself. There is so much metal in the oil it sparkles like I struck gold. I told the head mechanic about it and all he said was "there's nothing wrong with your motorcycle" unquote. I since have sent away for a oil analysis kit. When I get the results back from that I'll request a factory rep. This is very frustrating. If I don't get anywhere with the rep I guess I'll leave it to the court. That is depending on what the analysis is. Last time I saw that was with an automatic transmission out of my Trans Am. I put a magnet in the oil and the flakes were not magnetic. Looked like aluminum from the case. I also strapped a video camera on my gas tank and recorded the loud whine which the dealer again dismissed as usual.

Draining trans oil usually looks like new oil with no flakes of any kind in it and clear/clean. No doubt you have a problem and if you didn't dump the oil yet, I would hang on to it as proof.

Back