free website stats program 09 Heritage relay switch gone !! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

09 Heritage relay switch gone !!

Thanks nogoslim,1st HD,is it a common thing to go,or as dealer says "they can just go" or "could be water intrusion",not convinced now ref water as dont soak seat area,just a thought though,stupidly started before ignition lights an all wet out last time out,could i have damaged/burnt relay out? just a thought,cheers

Danny relays are fairly simple things its just a switch that is operated by electrics
they are usually used in high power load components starters, main lighting, air horns etc
they allow small wires to be used in handle bars etc to operate high power loads
so inside a relay there is a spring loaded switch that is operated by an electro magnet when you press a button or flick a switch on the handlebar a small amout of power goes through the electro magnet pulling the contact points together against the load of the spring
once the contact points come together they allow power to flow from the battery to the component when the handle bar switch is flicked to off or released the power flow to the electro magnet is cut and the spring pulls the contacts apart stopping the power flow from battery to component

if the relay is full of water can cause a problem or if they get very hot can also cause problem
so what you did didnt cause the problem

hope this helps

Brian

I agree with fin_676. The starter relay on my scooter that I'm referring to is under a plastic cover that protects the relays and fuses from getting wet. I'm fairly sure your 09' FLSTC is the same. I don't think washing a bike got it wet. I would think maybe just premature failure, covered by your two year warranty. Should have been free to you! Wash your baby without fear, this was probably just a fluke that it failed so young... :57:

Looking over the set of prints for a '09 Softail, I could find only 2 relays. Both are located side by side in the fuse block. (I am not counting the high current solenoid that is mounted on the starter as a relay)
One relay (black in color) is called the System relay. The other relay (Gray in color) is the Start relay. The Start relay activates the high current solenoid mounted on the starter.
The System relay supplies voltage to many vital points, one of which is to supply power to the Fuel pump.

I would agree with steve I think it should still be warrantied, I have an 02 and have been caught out there in a few bad downpours no way to stop the water from going where its gonna go. :hii

Back