free website stats program 09 Heritage overheat | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

09 Heritage overheat

They say this is the place "you park your bike in the summer and ride in the winter", of course I ride anyway! Just try to stay away front lights and the city traffic. Oil cooler helps some but like I said slip to the front at the light, 'cooler' hot air is better then all the hot air coming off the cars!

You say this happened 2 - 3 wks. ago ------ Any problems since?

No, actually, I though it runs stronger, and the vance and hines slip ons sound even beefier. The machine has about 2400 miles on it now.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I'm keeping an eye on things.

Any suggestions on what synthetic to use? I thought I read on this forum harley's synthetic was not a true synthetic.

:rider

They say this is the place "you park your bike in the summer and ride in the winter", of course I ride anyway! Just try to stay away front lights and the city traffic. Oil cooler helps some but like I said slip to the front at the light, 'cooler' hot air is better then all the hot air coming off the cars!

Good point poohbear !

Thanks

check out Smitty's report on the lenale parade fan before you decide on one of these

Thanks Hobbitt, yea, I was already considering that and and oil cooler. Funny, had this conversation with my son on that ride when it got hot. He's riding the Honda Shadow I gave him when I bought my Harley. His bike has a fan on it. "You'd think for that kinda money, Harley would include a fan." He said as my bike felt on fire, while his cooling fan was kicking in.

hahahahahah:bigsmiley22:

If the 09 Heritages come with it, I'd first make sure that your EITMS is active. On my 09 Road Glide, it has to be manually activated by rolling the throttle forward for a few seconds.

Second, I'd change your oil to full synthetic since it has a higher breakdown temperature.

Third, I'd upgrade to Stage 1 since it allows the bike to run a little richer and therefore a little cooler.

Finally, you might consider adding an oil cooler. Only a little cooling when stopped but better cooling with any motion than without. If you habitually get caught in slow or stopped traffic, then consider also installing a parade fan.

Thanks Jim B. Checking into that EITMS, i've read that the Touring bikes have it. Not sure about the softails. Gonna call the dealer today.

yup, the owners manual says it has the EITMS. Says it's dealer enabled.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ran 2 red lights yesterday;one because the light didn't acknowledge me and the other I was gonig too fast when I came up on it and that's just what you have to do sometimes. :newsmile025:

I ran 2 red lights yesterday;one because the light didn't acknowledge me and the other I was gonig too fast when I came up on it and that's just what you have to do sometimes. :newsmile025:

Maybe you do but i wouldn't want to be reading about here in the " in memory of" section. Was the devil chasin' you or something? :D

It is very hot here on the high desert. I have been caught at a light often. No problems with my 04'FB. I run Mobile One and go to neutral at a long light. I don't think shutting the engine off is a good idea. I think initally it gets hotter. I'm not a fan of oil coolers, if you think about it, they do nothing sitting still. Suggest you get a OTG. There are ones available that replace the filler cap. I think you will find that even on a very hot day the OT is within an acceptable range, unless you have other problems. My FB runs a bit on the lean side but a mod this winter will lean it up a bit. Oh yeah ALWAYS use the highest octane gas you can get.

RR

check out Smitty's report on the lenale parade fan before you decide on one of these

Good point. Mine has worked fine for the past 6 months but I know that Smitty had problems with his. The Lenale fan and the HD fan are probably the least effective of the measures that I listed and that's why I listed it last.

I can't speak to your bike issue but you really need to find a better place to ride. New Hope?? Man'O Man, that is the last place I would go. Take 413 through Buckingham, accross 202, then through Ottsville and upper Black Eddy, to River road. Avoid that place, if you think your bike is oveheating, wait until one of those NAZI New Hope cops puts a sound meter up your pipes-(exhaust)-you'll be hoter than your cylinders when they get done writing...lol

Doug

Maybe you do but i wouldn't want to be reading about here in the " in memory of" section. Was the devil chasin' you or something? :D

AMEN brother Glider!!!!

I can't speak to your bike issue but you really need to find a better place to ride. New Hope?? Man'O Man, that is the last place I would go. Take 413 through Buckingham, accross 202, then through Ottsville and upper Black Eddy, to River road. Avoid that place, if you think your bike is oveheating, wait until one of those NAZI New Hope cops puts a sound meter up your pipes-(exhaust)-you'll be hoter than your cylinders when they get done writing...lol

Doug

Well Doug, I learned my lesson that day. I wont go thru New Hope again on a sat or sunday. Obviously your from the area and know how crazy it is up there. Afa the nazi cops, I recently read it's going to get worse.

I like this HD kit that comes complete w/ mtg hdwr, hoses, clamps, and oil filter adapter w/ thermostat. These mount high up in between frame downtubes Oil Cooler Kit (p/n 26157-07) to not catch as much road grime, in either chrome trim or without,

1929d1231273128-oil_coolers-premium_oil_cooler_kit.gif

like the one Eleft36 has on his softtail, less the *bling* HD has a chrome logo trim cover to dress it up a bit...

3819d1247778927-hd_oil_cooler_without_the_chrome_cover-w_flash2.jpg

The oil filter adapter has a built in thermostat that begins to open at around 180-190 degrees F, so you do not have "overcooling" problems.

Back