free website stats program 09 FLHX engine noises | Harley Davidson Forums

09 FLHX engine noises

mrkihn

Okay so I rode my Sg to Sturgis and put on about 4500 mile on it riding there and all round Sturgis then back home. On the way home I started hearing noises coming from either rear cylinder area or tranny. Bike ran Okay but had noises when starting up and noise would go away after about 20 secs. Being bike is still under factory warranty I took bike to dealer as soon as I got home. They said they could barely hear the noise but would look at it. The service rep told me that a factory rep was in town and listened to the bike. and Is t asked where were the service records . Well except for the the 1000 mile check I service my own machine as I have done with every bike I owned. Then she wanted to know what oil I ran in it and I been running Amsoil in the bike for a year and never had any problem . The bike actually ran alittle quieter and cooler with amsoil. The factory rep said to get that oil out of the bike because amsoil in not motorcycle oil and run regular 20w50 in it instead well . Anybody ever heard of this ??. Running Amsoil 20w50 in 2 holes with severe gear lube in tranny. Needless to say dealer did nothing to my bike so now I wondering is there future problems on the horizon with this bike. Warranty up in Dec. Bike has 11,300m on it now

Sounds like a noisy lifter in rear cylinder? If you have a stethoscope get it ready while bike is cold and then start bike and listen quickly to first one lifter then the other on the rear cylinder. try to pinpoint which one (if it is a lifter) is making noise? Hows your oil pressure look when you first fire it up?

Okay so I rode my Sg to Sturgis and put on about 4500 mile on it riding there and all round Sturgis then back home. On the way home I started hearing noises coming from either rear cylinder area or tranny. Bike ran Okay but had noises when starting up and noise would go away after about 20 secs. Being bike is still under factory warranty I took bike to dealer as soon as I got home. They said they could barely hear the noise but would look at it. The service rep told me that a factory rep was in town and listened to the bike. and Is t asked where were the service records . Well except for the the 1000 mile check I service my own machine as I have done with every bike I owned. Then she wanted to know what oil I ran in it and I been running Amsoil in the bike for a year and never had any problem . The bike actually ran alittle quieter and cooler with amsoil. The factory rep said to get that oil out of the bike because amsoil in not motorcycle oil and run regular 20w50 in it instead well . Anybody ever heard of this ??. Running Amsoil 20w50 in 2 holes with severe gear lube in tranny. Needless to say dealer did nothing to my bike so now I wondering is there future problems on the horizon with this bike. Warranty up in Dec. Bike has 11,300m on it now

Take it to another dealer , The oil should not be a problem

Sounds like a noisy lifter in rear cylinder? If you have a stethoscope get it ready while bike is cold and then start bike and listen quickly to first one lifter then the other on the rear cylinder. try to pinpoint which one (if it is a lifter) is making noise? Hows your oil pressure look when you first fire it up?

If you don't have a stethoscope use a screw drive and put your ear to the handle and put the other end where you want to pinpoint the noise. Watch out it can be louder than you would think.

two of my friends have o9 street glides one has 6500 miles on it the other has 13000 and after riding the bikes for some time when you shut them down and restart them after 20 minutes or so both engines make a loud noise sounds like a wrist pin or something then it goes away. both have brought them to there dealers and tech says theres nothing wrong. all of our warranties are coming to a end soon were all thinking were holding hand grenades i have the same engine on my 09 ultra and this crazy noise has not been heard on mine yet.

Take it to another dealer , The oil should not be a problem

That was my though. It doesn't just make this sound when it's cold it makes it if it hot too. It just seems to go away after about 15-20 sec. after it's started.
I know many people who run Amsoil in there bikes and never had any problem at all.

That was my though. It doesn't just make this sound when it's cold it makes it if it hot too. It just seems to go away after about 15-20 sec. after it's started.
I know many people who run Amsoil in there bikes and never had any problem at all.

As long as the oil meets or excedes HD standards for an air cooled motor wellllll Find a new dealer and dont give up:s

Back