free website stats program 09 FLHX Bad Battery | Harley Davidson Forums

09 FLHX Bad Battery

twicecam

Picked up my bike yesterday from the dealer, they had to replace the battery turned out it was defective. The bike is only a year and a half old, so it was covered under warranty. Seems I have heard many times about the 09 and 10"s having battery failure. Any thoughts on this? :D

Agree with Smitty, We have a few bad ones from the factory every now and then if it is made by the hands of man it can go wrong JMO

The bike is only a year and a half old, so it was covered under warranty.

Wow, my guess would have been the battery would only be covered for 1/2 year tops then prorated. This is the 1st time I ever heard of a battery being fully covered at 1 1/2 years.

That is except for the JC Penny's auto battery way back in the '70's. 5 year warranty with NO prorate. New full exchange for 60 months. That offer did not last long.:)

Wow, my guess would have been the battery would only be covered for 1/2 year tops then prorated. This is the 1st time I ever heard of a battery being fully covered at 1 1/2 years.

That is except for the JC Penny's auto battery way back in the '70's. 5 year warranty with NO prorate. New full exchange for 60 months. That offer did not last long.:)

Do you remember the Firestone Forever battery, boy did they take a blood bath on that one:s

Do you remember the Firestone Forever battery, boy did they take a blood bath on that one:s

No never heard of the Firestone "forever" battery. The name sure is catchy! Was that around the same time as the Firestone "500" tires?:)

Given that these new fuel injected motorcycles with all the associated electronics are so dependant on having a good battery, you may want to consider investing in a battery tender.

They are relatively cheap ($35-40 bucks) and should help extend the life of your new battery by a considerable margin.

They are especially good for your battery during the winter months when our motorcycles tend to sit un-used for a while.

Given that these new fuel injected motorcycles with all the associated electronics are so dependant on having a good battery, you may want to consider investing in a battery tender.

They are relatively cheap ($35-40 bucks) and should help extend the life of your new battery by a considerable margin.

They are especially good for your battery during the winter months when our motorcycles tend to sit un-used for a while.

I agree whole-heartedly on the battery tender. You may already have one installed. Look for the pig-tail hanging out of the bike below the seat. That would be what the "charger" thingy they gave you when you bought the bike should plug into.

If not there, get one. Do a search for "Battery Tender Jr." on google. Should be able to find one around $20. With S&H should be under $30.

TQ

I'm in 100% agreement on the tender, I keep one on my '99 Road King, and just last year replaced the factory battery with a new one. I realize 10 yrs is an exception, but at the dealership where I work when I see a 5+ yr old battery come in for a new one, I ask if they've kept it on a tender, and their answers are yes.

Back