free website stats program '09 FLHP Losing Power | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

'09 FLHP Losing Power

Thought about dragging brakes, not an issue. Since I bought the bike 5 months and 7k mi ago, run 2 cans of sea foam and recently a bottle of Lucas fuel system cleaner.

The problem existed when I bought the bike, has only gotten worse, and seems to be rapidly worsening in recent days.

I have a new set of true duals I put on when I bought the bike, doubt if they're the issue.

Changing plug wires is a thought, as is figuring out how to test throttle position sensor and throttle actuator for proper function. That'll be the task tomorrow.

I wonder if the exhaust that you have put on has much bigger baffles causing lack of back pressure and bike is falling on its face while accelerating. As to testing the sensors typically if they are operating out of range the check engine light would come on. Plugs wires if bad typically would cause a misfire. If it were me and baffles are larger than the exhaust that came off I would contact V&H Fuelpak manufacture and see if they have a better program for you to down load to match all the modifications done to bike along with the new exhaust.... It seems like bike needs fatten up a bit...

The original set of values they gave me ran ok, the loss of power issue was present but as I say not as severe as today. After running those values for a week or so I checked for codes, purely out of curiosity, no check engine light, and I got p0132 and p0152 for both cylinders running rich. I called v&h, got a few reduced values, and the codes have not come back up since.

I removed the fuel pak a few days ago and ran for a while, only to have the same issue with a lot of exhaust popping.

I installed freedom performance racing true duals, look to me internally pretty identical to Rinehart pipes, and that's what I told v&h.

Since you purchased the bike you have added 7,000mi. and the only changes you have made are new true duals and a reprogramming of the V&H fueler. You have tried running the bike without the V&H and it runs the same only with decal popping. You have changed out some parts only to have the bike continue to lose power after you have run for awhile. The problem existed on a smaller scale when you purchased it and has progressively gotten worse. I know you have had the oil analyzed and all indicators look fine. About the only thing that has not been done is a leak down test and I'm not sure that it will give you correct data unless you can do it when the motor is warmed up. Something is "getting tired" as the bike reaches running temps. We have many members who are "engine builders" and I hope one of them will be able to come up with a solution soon.

But what really makes it tricky is that it's intermittent even when warm. It comes and goes based on no particular reason that I see. That's got me thinking electrical.

Oscar, I'm stumped, but not giving up. I am not familiar with the fly by wire throttle you have, so I'm just throwing things out there. Have your tried running the engine without the air filter to see if the butterfly opens when you crack the throttle. My bike has a Idle Air Controller (IAC), which is a hole in front of, and behind the butterfly, along with a sensor (pintle) just behind the butterfly. I had idle issues, and squirting throttle body cleaner through the passage, and on the pintle removed some gunk, and fixed the problem.

Pete is on to something here...

TBW and the 09 First model year MAY Well have a Problem with the motor NOT opening that throttle butter-fly enough to produce the MISSING power...

Remember in my other post, I REPLACED my unit...:guitar

Careful checking like Breeze suggested....... Keep your face to one side of it so IF it back-fires from there, you'll not get SINGED...:bigsmiley18:

signed....BUBBIE

I guess that I posted THAT information on another Site.

The 09 TBW (throttle by wire) had a problem with EARLY wearing-out of the Motor that operated the opening of the butterfly unit on the manifold.

I just bought a Used Take-off (800 miles) for my 09 FLHR... Buying a complete unit, motor, injectors, was cheaper than the 300$ HD wanted for the part, My understanding here is that the 09 needs to come with a complete intake manifold and motor unit.

I can't see where the motor is any different but may be Removable off a 2012 and Yes it ALL fits the same...

The 2012 intake manifold casting (take-off I bought) is FAR nicer than the old 09 one I took off.

Thinking here that IF the motor is BAD= not working to it's full ability, it may Not be opening Fully and starving the motor of the power That IS there at times.

Good Call Pete.

signed....BUBBIE

Throttle control actuator is definitely my next focus, I'm going to try hitting it with throttle body cleaner. Is there anything I need to be careful of in this procedure? Is it ok to hit the TMAP sensor with solvents, or manually cycle the butterfly to get behind it?

Back