free website stats program '09 FAT BOY Oil Tank Dip stick WOES-The HEAT | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

'09 FAT BOY Oil Tank Dip stick WOES-The HEAT

a little techie for me..but I get the idea...I have added stage 1 to my bike with the Screamin' Eagle slip on pipes....would stage 1 make my bike and oil hotter?

yep that is what I thought the Stage 1 would do...especially adding the heavy breather makes sense....my pants do not have the Kevlar patch in the thighs...I am going to go out tomorrow and try and find of pants with the heat resistant patches...Dirt bikes and ATV pants have such a patch....then I am off to chat with my dealer...I think we should have bought 2 Street Bob's...this bike is giving me a $$ headache and I should be anticipating in a good way my next ride...and I am not, Thanks so much for trying to help...I think I may have bought the wrong bike...although I love riding it minus the heat.

a little techie for me..but I get the idea...I have added stage 1 to my bike with the Screamin' Eagle slip on pipes....would stage 1 make my bike and oil hotter?

If you have added stage1 and pipes without a fueler your bike will be running quite lean and that would make it much hotter

the dealer never mentioned needing a fueler with my stage 1 and we just added a stage one to our '09 Street Bob...BTW...road my partners Street Bob while she road my FB..and what a difference...there is heat on the Bob but no way compares to the Boy. My deflectors should be here by the end of next week. I will talk to my service guys about the fueler and I am really crossing my fingers that the deflectors do what they say.

Any other Fat Boy owners out who can tell me how you put up with the heat from the oil tank? Seriously am I missing something?

UPDATE: Bought some RJS Original Heat deflectors and they WORK! Still have heat but who doesn't with a Harley but RJS has really invented an accessory that controls the heat from the Fat Boy's oil tank and I have been able to ride in hot temperatures in traffic without getting burned....and they look awesome to be honest. Anyway...I can live with the air cooled engine now and because the heat is diffused it is almost like I am riding a Dyna. :s

Soph9 - Thank you for the update! The picture below is from RJS Originals aka Zoood' website...

RS_FB_Red.JPG

I really like the look, but am wondering what you did about that hot cap to the right thigh...did you change it out for low profile guage or other type or does the "sock" remain??!!

Last edited:
Dip stick still get hot but for some reason with the deflectors on it does not seem to bother me as much. I did change the stick to a lower profile one....here are some pics...if you want I can take specific pics of the deflectors but in these you can see how they look...
09FatBoymods.jpg

FBshiftside.jpg

Let me know if you want close ups...I might just take some tomorrow and post them!:s

You actually just reminded me...I do need to call this guy who customizes seats who said he would make me a leather cap for the dip stick...he was going to use some insulating material like what you would use around a hot water tank...put it in a leather cap with a very strong elastic...I need to call Curtis because I forgot about this. Perhaps if that was added I may never feels any heat...doubt that but it sure would eliminate oil tank heat for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well done Soph9, that ride looks real sweet and I am sure lots of members appreciate your post being the "hot" ticket for heat management on a 2009 Fat Boy. :cheers

Back