free website stats program 09 Dyna Street Bob Belt Tension | Harley Davidson Forums

09 Dyna Street Bob Belt Tension

mc2

Contributor
To help a buddy out with his new bike brought into Lao today from Bangkok. No book!
What is the drive belt tension for this bike, tire on ground and off, if applicable? He is a big guy: 230#+. Is it better to be on either end of the recommendations, tighter or looser?
With that done, what is the procedure for rear tire alignment?
Thanks

Without a manual, and on the ground I would go with 3/8" or so with firm pressure at long center span. Check it at several different rotations moving the bike forward a bit. Better a bit loose than too tight to get you going. JMO

09 Dyna Belt Adjustment
FXDF/FXD/FXDC FXDB/FXDL
IN. / MM IN. / MM
With motorcycle on 5/16-3/8 7.9-9.5 1/4-5/16 6.4-7.9
jiffy stand without
rider or luggage

Vehicle upright with 1/2-9/16 12.7-14.3 5/16-3/8 7.9-9.5
rear wheel in air

REAR AXLE ALIGNMENT
The measurement between the center of the rear axle and the rear fork hole must be equal to within 1/32 in. (0.8 mm) on both sides of the motorcycle.
If it is not, adjust the rear wheel with the axle adjusters to accomplish the equal measurement.

Chopper,

confused! Putting the wrench to someone else's bike and want to confirm.
Simply:
bike on kickstand = 5/16 to 3/8
bike in air = 1/2 to 9/16

Rear Fork Hole: Is this the hole the axle adjuster is in? (this will make it easy)

Thanks for the help.

Rear Fork Hole: Is this the hole the axle adjuster is in? (this will make it easy)

No. The rear fork has a small 1/8" hole appox 4" just forward of axle.

You have to measure from the imaginary center of the axle (which is a hole) to the 1/8" hole in the fork.

This process requires a special set of plugs you place in the hollow axle which gives you a center point. The plugs are expensive. Couple of weeks back I posted the setup I made to make the job easy.

You have to measure from the imaginary center of the axle (which is a hole) to the 1/8" hole in the fork.

This process requires a special set of plugs you place in the hollow axle which gives you a center point. The plugs are expensive. Couple of weeks back I posted the setup I made to make the job easy.
Thanks for making some sense of my post Hoople, I've been burning too much midnignt oil latley, I did go check out your post on the rear axle alignment tool you made, nice! You could give George's Garage a run for their money:)

Being in SE Asia this site is a lifeline. Thanks guys.
Sure enough I missed this 1/8" hole the first lookover. Where in here did you post your axle alignment tool? Been looking with no luck.

I have an idea for one, and being square to the fork from that 1/8" hole is most critical. Would like to benefit from your posting.

On belt tension confirmation:
on kickstand: 5/16 to 3/8"
in air: 1/2 to 9/16"

Started paper process to get my bike registered in Lao. Hope to ride from Saigon to Vientiane in late sept. Monsoon or not, it'll be great.

Back