free website stats program 08 up Rear Brembo Caliper Swap | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

08 up Rear Brembo Caliper Swap

Thanks for the insight Dolt. Once I try stuffing a 160 in there later this winter (Yes, it gets down to the mid 30's in Florida), I know it's going to be a real challenge to get it by the caliper assembly. I struggle as it is with the 140. My primary purpose was for pad changes, cleaning etc. and because I never stop tinkering and making improvements to my scoot. o_O

The master cylinder change will be something I do if I don't like the feel of the pedal after doing the caliper swap.....although I trail brake, 80% plus of my braking is done using the front only....something many under utilize. I have buddies that are the other way around....primarily brake with only the rear. Dangerous practice to say the least. 08+ masters are also available relatively cheap on Ebay as well. I just bought the rear caliper and bracket off a 2014 SG for $69.99 shipped and it included the entire brake line front to back.

I'm running a Fullsac true dual conversion on it (Love it by the way) .....I couldn't do a newer notched pan to run a 09+ undercarriage crossover because I have a Progressive True-Trak on that right side and the kit doesn't allow clearance for a crossover pipe.

I run a 150 tire on an 18" 3.5" Airstryke wheel, so I am familiar with the struggle required to R/R the rear wheel. Trail braking with the rear brake is sometimes necessary. Just passing on what others have experienced that have made the conversion regarding pedal travel/feel of the OEM setup; long pedal travel, blocky feedback and then lockup.:( All say they have adjusted but will most install the '08 rear brake M/C in the future. Not having personal experience, I can only pass on what others that have made the conversion tell me; you may be different. We just found the template and method for drilling the mounting holes after removing the OEM mounting bracket so that the rear brake M/C and pedal assembly fits level and properly. I have all the parts for the front and rear conversion which I will get done come January and February but I will install the complete '08 rear braking system with caliper; might as well go all the way.;)

Too bad about the cross over, you would be amazed at the amount of heat the conversion moves away from rider and passenger.;) Good luck with the project; keep us posted on the results.

Back