free website stats program 08 up Rear Brembo Caliper Swap | Harley Davidson Forums

08 up Rear Brembo Caliper Swap

Slo-Ryd

Contributor
Looking to go to an 08 up Brembo 2 piece rear Caliper and bracket on my 03 to make rear wheel removal and replacement less of a chore. I can bag a caliper of eBay for under $100 all day long.....my question is, does the rear rotor need to be swapped as well? My year runs an 11.5" whereas the 08 and up went to the 300mm (11.891") rotor. Has anyone done this swap that can shed some light on the rotor part....I already know I have to drill out the caliper mount bracket slightly to fit my 1" axle through and recheck the spacer width....that's easy for me to do in our shop.

And what about the master cylinder???????
For how often you remove rear tire the benefit may not be worth the upgrade. Then you are going to have a much better operating rear brake versus front.
I think I would leave well enough alone.

Brake changes are easier not requiring complete removal of the wheel as with the current one piece caliper/arm assembly. Going to do a narrower belt as well coming up to go 160 on the rear....just had the swingarm off to check and replace the isolators. It's a real pain trying to fight that wheel assembly back around the caliper without the spacers getting knocked out during the wrestling match. Since I do all my own wrenching on the bike, anything that makes my maintenance easier for relatively little investment is a plus for me. Master cylinder doesn't need to be changed by the way....and the Brembo isn't so much of an improvement as to where I risk rear tire lock ups just by the swap. Front has already been converted to a Brembo since I only run a single disc with my 21. That wheel came set up with a newer disc and was from an 09 SG...all I had to do was swap the 25mm bearings out. The rear is a common swap and has been done countless times....and I'm not being argumentative by any means. The sole purpose is for easier future maintenance, not a brake system upgrade. 10 minute pad change versus having to remove the entire back wheel is worth it alone in my opinion. I'm a tinkerer and enjoy working on my bikes almost as much as riding them...and upgrades are a plus in my opinion, otherwise the MOCO would just keep rolling out the same thing since 1984 ;)

Sounds like you have a well thought out plan, I say go for it if it's going to make life a little easier.

I think the only way to tell is to do the mods to the new setup and see how it all fits together if the whole of the pad surface is not touching the brake rotor then the rotor will need upgraded

Brian

I think you have thought this thru. You are not being argumentative at all. You have been challenged with a different perspective and I would bet you have all the more made your decision by starting this thread and discussion.
Good for you...;)

Yep....definitely going this route. Like I said, it's a common upgrade and I'm certainly not the first to try it. I was just hoping another member had already done this swap and could shed light on the disc. Brian hit it on the head, mount it and I'll verify the pad is sitting completely on the rotor surface and not missing the very edge and go from there. The difference in half the diameter between the newer discs is only a little over an 1/8th ". I'll report back once my parts come in and I get it mounted

On most brake systems there is only 1or 2 mm from the edge of the pad to the outer circumference of the rotor and 1/8" is about 3 mm but as I have never seen this particular setup you may get lucky
Build it and see and if it works

Brian

This modification is fairly common but without the '08 rear brake M/C the results in braking will be increased pedal travel and near lockup at full travel; you will have to learn how to trail brake all over again. Your '03 rear brake M/C is a smaller bore than the '08 M/C which is designed to operate '08 caliper. Your '03 rear brake line will work but will have to be bent to fit with the '08 caliper; it will be stretched to the limit; I would suggest using the '08 NON ABS rear brake line. You will need several of the NON ABS spacers that will need trimming to center the rotor in the caliper; trial and error. Final fitment will require several mock ups and will very likely require some shims from McMaster Carr to push the caliper setup to the left; spacer will fit between the outside of the brake arm the swing arm is the only way to move the caliper left.

If you are only interested in making the rear wheel easier, it's a lot of work considering that the rear wheel doesn't have to come off that often; however, having an '02 FLHT with wider wheel and taller tire, I can appreciate wanting to make tire and pad changes simpler.;) The '08 M/C is not required for this modification; however, I would not make the conversion without upgrading brake performance. I have four buddies that have made this modification and all, without exception, have plans to incorporate the '08 rear brake M/C in the near future. I have collected all the parts and will be making the conversion this winter but have learned from my buddies that using the '08 rear brake M/C is the only way to improve rear braking. Of course, mounting the '08 rear brake M/C adds a degree of complexity to the modification but I have that sorted out now as well.

I have some notes, etc. from the other conversions if you are interested. Since you are interested in upgrades, why don't you change your exhaust over to the '09 up under carriage cross over?

Last edited:
Back