free website stats program 08 ultra won't start | Harley Davidson Forums

08 ultra won't start

LoBeau

I was running down the road at highway speeds and my engine shut down. I coasted to the shoulder, cycled the kill and ignition switch and it started and ran fine, for a while. It intermittently refused to start a couple of times then when it did start ran fine, but now will not start. I ran the dashboard diagnostics and found no fault codes. Pulled the plugs they have spark but are dry. I can hear the fuel pump cycle when I turn on the key but if I disconnect the fuel line from the tank and push up on the center pin on the tank side there is no fuel when the pump cycles.
Any thoughts

Lobeau

Sounds like your fuel filter may be plugged. How many miles on Bike? Or had you just filled up when this started?
tourbox

Or the fuel line has a hole in it and is spraying the inside of the tank instead of pressurizing the line to the injectors. It only takes a tiny hole, and is a common problem.

Or the fuel line has a hole in it and is spraying the inside of the tank instead of pressurizing the line to the injectors. It only takes a tiny hole, and is a common problem.[/QUOTE
To follow up with what Breeze suggested, take off your gas cap and turn on the ignition and listen. If it has a pin hole you should hear a bubbling or spraying sound.

Last edited:
Fill the tank. If it runs fine then there may very well be a hole in the fuel line and it will run fine until the fuel level drops below the hole. If the motor is not running, the fuel pump should stop operating after few seconds; a safety feature to shut off fuel if the motor is not running.

Could be the fuel filter but unless you picked up some bad gas with crud, fuel filters are generally not a "maintenance" item.

Still thinking!

Pushing the Ball open under the tank on that Female fitting should have pumped out the GAS... Remember fellas How Tight that line is to get apart when under pressure...

Have had others ask Why so hard to remove " because it is UNDER Pressure...

If the ball was in and a little gas came out and then kept open, the key ON cycled and the pump Pumped but No gas.... You solved where to look. I do agree to start into the tank.
IF the pump Was Cycling.. and you were sure it was open at that valve?

Good call on all the above post.:s

signed....BUBBIE

Back