free website stats program 08 Ultra Steering Head | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

08 Ultra Steering Head

I asked the dealer to adjust the steering head when it was in for 1000 mile service because it felt loose. The dealer said that they do it and is included in the service. It felt the same when I got it back and after 6000 + miles it was really loose and clunking so today I greased and adjusted it. Now, what annoys me is, If they lubricated and adjusted it at 1000 mile service, why did it take a half a tube of grease before it started ooozing out top and bottom? and why did it look like the lock tab for steering head nut was never touched since it left factory? Can head be adjusted without loosening it? I just feel like for my 1000 mile service that all I received was a $300. oil change. :wall:small3d023:It's just not right and the reason why I do all my own service now.

Now, what annoys me is, If they lubricated and adjusted it at 1000 mile service, why did it take a half a tube of grease before it started ooozing out top and bottom? and why did it look like the lock tab for steering head nut was never touched since it left factory? Can head be adjusted without loosening it? I just feel like for my 1000 mile service that all I received was a $300. oil change. :wall:small3d023:It's just not right and the reason why I do all my own service now.

The only time it takes 1/2 tube of grease is the first time it's greased. They probably blessed it and out the door.
After the first time, it will only take about 2-3 pumps on the grease gun to get it to ooze out.

Because that would cost them about 5 cents more. :D

The hand grease the bearings before installation so they don't have to fill the neck.

Sorry I stole a demo Road Glide (worst seat in the lineup) and went fishing.Hence the name "Fisher".BTW didn't catch anything but a tan.:D

uhmm......well..........this is unofficial.Screw the "special porpose" grease.It has a melt temperature of 32* F and runs all over the front of the bike.ANY good waterproof grease will fill the bill.Oh and there's been a tech tip that four swings is OK now.But I prefer the bearings a bit on the tight side on the heavier bikes.Just a personal preference.

I went to dealer today and asked the service manager why the steering head on my bike was never lubricated and adjusted during the 1000 mile service. I told him I don't like paying $300. to just get oils changed. He brought up my records and said the mechanic that did the work was no longer with them which was a lie so he could just brush me off as the lazy (edit) that worked on my bike is still there. They don't care and just another reason I am glad I decided to start doing my own service. It's a shame cause I like the salesmen and the parts guys are great but I don't think I want to deal with them anymore. It's so hard to find a place you can trust to do what they are supposed to especially when they are trying to make money with flat rate. I guess cutting corners makes them more money and most people don't even realize they are not getting the service they paid for.

One way to get the job done right is to do it yourself. I've seen more things like this at dealers than I care to mention.

I'm sure you do a good job of it to Fisher, too bad there aren't more mechanics with your skills working at some of these dealerships as we have discussed in the past.

I know we differ in opinions about the level of competent mechanics at the dealers but these comments are in no way directed at you. I have found first hand and as you can see by others comments on the board, so have they found that not all dealers are created equal as far as ethics and mechanics ability.

I understand it's not personal however few post up when things go well.All we hear is "those guys suck."Just trying to get everyone to see there are two sides to the coin.I hate the dealer where I work.Worst place I've ever worked and I've worked for a guy who snorted coke off his desk.But I do the same job I would anywhere because I have a reputation and want to keep it.People come from far away for my work.And I am sure that other techs do the same thing.You don't hear about them though.Just the weenies.

Back