free website stats program 08 Ultra fly by wire throttle problems | Harley Davidson Forums

08 Ultra fly by wire throttle problems

I have been having an problem with the throttle in my 08 ultra. When starting the engine, I turn on the ignition, wait for the check engine light to go out, not touching the throttle, hit the stater. Normal starup. But, sometimes the engine starts goes to 1200 rpm, check engine light comes on, and twisting the grip gets no real change in engine speed. I shut it down, rotate the throttle forward the backward to the stops, turn on the ignition, hit the starter. She fires up, then goes to 1400 then down to 800, check engine light comes. I blip the throttle and then settles down at 1000 rpm, then runs fine. The check engine light goes out after 10 seconds. This doesn;t happen all the time. Sorry for all the info, the dealer has looked at it 3 times and can't get any computer information. So, no fix or suggestions from them.
I love this bike, but this problem rises my anxiety level a bit. I'm thinking I may have a bad sending unit or reosat in the fly by wire throttle.
Is anyone having these kind of problems and have you any stories or fixes.
Thanks

There's a dealer download that addresses the situation you are having. It keeps the power up to the ECM for a few seconds on shut down.

Most important right now is let the bike idle down with your hand OFF the throttle grip completely before shutting off the ignition, It should be OK on the next start then.

2008 High Idle - Harley Davidson Community

Thanks Glider, I guess I am mystified as to why the dealer isn;t seeing this. They are a reputable shop and popular dealer. I will make a trip in with tech tip in hand. Thanks agan

It baffles me too when I see a dealer that isn't up on the latest tech tips and bulletins. That's their job but yet they get lazy when it comes to keeping abreast of the info that helps them solve problems.

I had about the same problem. I had replaced the stock bars with pullbacks. I didn't change the throttle sensor like was recommended, but just kept the old one because it seemed fine. After about 15k miles, it started acting like yours. Put a new throttle sensor with longer wiring ( no connector midway in the bars) and have not had the problem since.

Have you or dealer reset base idle by using the proper sequence cycling key.Also as Glider stated have down load done. I have found that if I move my bike while ignition on but not running and pushing bike say out of a parking space that will effect curb idle. It dose not matter if run switch on or off. This is resetting curb idle reference. I always shut down but using kill switch and then turn ignition off. Once download done problem should disappear. Maybe a different dealer?

Back