free website stats program '08 Street Glide gear side klunk | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

'08 Street Glide gear side klunk

Hey Glider,
Sorry about this, but is the IDS the rear pulley isolator? Not exactly sure what the stater plug is either. I need to get the service manual. I do have one for my wife's Sprortster.

I picked it up and road a couple of blocks and heard a squeeking from under the left rear bag. Turned around and went back. They replaced a grommett while I waited which was cool. I than road it home and seemed fine until I let up on the gas on the freeway. Thought I felt a little klunk. Road around the hood and with extreme letting off or adding gas, the single klunk was there. I usually don't ride that way, but after taking it back and the Manager test riding for 10 minutes said everything was normal and he can make the klunk which is normal for that kind of extreme riding. (not using clutch, throttle, etc.) Coming back through the canyon on Sunday, maybe listening to my new front end I was over sensitive to every little sound and am making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Thanks again and we are glad we found you guys,
Craig and Mary

The IDS is referred to as an isolator by some but my curiosity is why they changed it and you still have the same noise. Some clunk is normal with any bike the way you describe riding it with excess on/off the gas due to the tolerances in the drive train but just curious why they change a part and the noise is still there and how they can then say it's normal. Why didn't they say that to begin with?

As you can tell, I am skeptical when it comes to some dealers and what they tell the customer.

Thanks for the info. We totally agree with the skepticism. We love our dealer and service dep't. in which a lot of riders don't with theirs. We also deal with an independant company here in Southern Cal in which there allowed to think outside the box and remedied some issues on my front end which the dealer couldn't because of certain Harley specs.
(See previous blog on Klunk in front end)

As far as them changing to the '09 IDS part and the noise still there, the mechanic said Harley changed the IDS in '09 and my pulleys were loose and needed to be replaced and attributes the klunk to extreme measures.

We'll see what happens in the near future.

Thanks again bro,
Craig and Mary

Hey guys,
Just got done riding 500+ on Sat. and Sunday. This klunk previously stated might be considered a kink sound. Really tried to pin point it. It is around 2000 rpm's and when I shift to a lower gear and goes up around 2500 rpm's it goes away.(seems to be tight and no sound) When I am on the freeway and let up and give it gas, there is a small kink.

I do need to ride another glide to compare it, but sounds like Glider mentioned with it being tolerances on the drive train. Wanted to post this because of the PM's we've gotten.

We'll keep you posted and thanks to HD Talking.

OK, the more I read what you are saying, the more it sounds like a ping from the engine. Take a key and tap on the fin on the cylinder where you would get a slight ring from it and tell me if that's what the sound is like. If it is, then it's pinging and you may need more fuel added to the mixture if you don't have a tuner but it isn't an uncommon thing to get a ping from time to time when the conditions are right in the lean engines now.

Hey Glider,
Just went down and did the above mentioned. It is a lower sound than that but not as low as a klunk. Sorry about not being more specific. It feels and sounds like it needs to be in a lower gear when it does it but the freeway sound of letting up and giving it gas is what is weird.
Thanks again bro,
Craig

Hello TQuentin1,
Thanks for the info. I did do the ACT Adjustment with no difference. It might be like you said, the primary chain reacting to the rapid change of loading. One of my jobs is to help develop and perfect prototype saxophones and synthetic reeds. Nothing to do with the MC business. Maybe I am being to particular when it comes to perfecting mechanical things. We really appreciate everyone and their expertise in the forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know. The dealer has done everything so far. I'll check with them. With 21,000+ miles, it makes sense.
Thank You,

Finally, does your bike have a belt guard on the drive belt (not the metal piece over the top, but one around the belt to keep stuff out)? If so, make sure it is secure and inspect it to see if there is any indication (wear) that the belt is "flapping" against the guard under rapid load change.

TQ

Back