free website stats program '08 Street Glide gear side klunk | Harley Davidson Forums

'08 Street Glide gear side klunk

craig Lee

Hi guys,
Just got back from a putt (150+ miles) to check out my new triple tree and adjustment. See previous blogs about klunk in front end. It rides beautifully.

I did notice a new sound. When I let up on the gas or give it gas in any gear, the is a small klunk on the left side down around the gear linkage, derby cover area. The bike has 20,500 miles on it. Wasn't sure if this is normal wear or what?

Thank You,
Craig

Hello Glider,
Thanks for the response. Just went out and tried the recommended for the chain adjuster. Neighbors must have thought I was nuts. Didn't help the klunk, but will keep it in mind for any future noise that might occur.

Can you locate if the noise if in the front or rear of the primary? Possibly the compensator assembly.

Hey Glider,
It almost sounds like it is near the rear behind the Derby cover. I think in the area of the rear of the shifter linkage. The klunk, not sure if this is the right word, almost sounds like when the bike is off and you shift up or down. Again, it does it when I let up or give it gas suddenly.
Thanks

It might be time to open the primary and have a look at the clutch basket and other associated parts. It should be covered under the warranty.

Hi Guys,
Just picked up my '08 SG and interesting. They replaced the rear pulley isolator.(with '09 part #) Also found a leak in my stater plug and took care of that.

The klunk is still there, but it is when I extremely let up on gas or extremely give it gas. Manager test road it and said it is perfectly normal. He knows we ride a lot (20,000+) a year and attributes it to knowing how to make the klunk,etc. When I ride normal and try not to make it klunk, it is fine. Maybe I am just getting to critical, but we'll see.

Thanks again for everyone's input.
Much appreciated,
Craig

If your dealer has rentals, maybe they'll let you take one out and see if you can make the sound happen on one of their bikes....They tried yours you should try theirs. If you can make the sound happen on theirs then maybe you don't need to worry about it, but if you can't then make 'em find and fix the problem.

Hi Guys,
Just picked up my '08 SG and interesting. They replaced the rear pulley isolator.(with '09 part #) Also found a leak in my stater plug and took care of that.

The klunk is still there, but it is when I extremely let up on gas or extremely give it gas. Manager test road it and said it is perfectly normal. He knows we ride a lot (20,000+) a year and attributes it to knowing how to make the klunk,etc. When I ride normal and try not to make it klunk, it is fine. Maybe I am just getting to critical, but we'll see.

Thanks again for everyone's input.
Much appreciated,
Craig

What was their reasoning for replacing the IDS and still having the clunk?

Back