free website stats program 08 Street Bob Runs Rough | Harley Davidson Forums

08 Street Bob Runs Rough

RetiredJake

2008 Dyna Street Bob, 12K miles, SE A/C, Reinhardt Cross Back Duals w/1.75 baffles, ThunderMax FI controller. Bike has run rough when warm since it was new. Had a PCIII when delivered from dealer, I put on the ThunderMax after about 6K miles, hoping I could tune out the rough spot. :small3d023:

When starting cold, the bike runs very smooth, as it warms, it develops a rough spot between 2500 and 3000 RPM (approximately, no tach, based on similar speeds on 08 ultra). The warmer the bike, the wider and rougher the rough spot. At times, I can not ride in 4th gear below 55 MPH without the shudder making my teeth chatter, forget 6th below 80. :(

Dealer, as always, states that all Dynas are rough. They will not take the time to get it completely warmed up, or they may be right. Any one else with this problem? Any solutions? I have heard that the MOCO designed in some roughness on the Dynas, but can not confirm that.

Any help appreciated, thanks in advance.

My bike has no rough spots at all. Stock it was fine, with pipes and air cleaner and se tuner it was fine. I then had it tuned on the Dyno and it ran even better. Might be worth finding a good dyno guy and having them do a custom tune for you.

2008 Dyna Street Bob, 12K miles, SE A/C, Reinhardt Cross Back Duals w/1.75 baffles, ThunderMax FI controller. Bike has run rough when warm since it was new. Had a PCIII when delivered from dealer, I put on the ThunderMax after about 6K miles, hoping I could tune out the rough spot. :small3d023:

When starting cold, the bike runs very smooth, as it warms, it develops a rough spot between 2500 and 3000 RPM (approximately, no tach, based on similar speeds on 08 ultra). The warmer the bike, the wider and rougher the rough spot. At times, I can not ride in 4th gear below 55 MPH without the shudder making my teeth chatter, forget 6th below 80. :(

Dealer, as always, states that all Dynas are rough. They will not take the time to get it completely warmed up, or they may be right. Any one else with this problem? Any solutions? I have heard that the MOCO designed in some roughness on the Dynas, but can not confirm that.

Any help appreciated, thanks in advance.

Hi. I'm new to ya u lot, however, sounds like you need to have a look (or someone) at your PCIII, Might need altering, tweeking. that said Im not a motorcycle engineer.

wishing you luck with ya bike, lets us know how you go on?

Keith lewis (UK)

Not a CA or HDI bike. I keep thinking there is a sensor that breaks down with heat, but dealer refuses to accept that as a possibility.

Check the cylinder head temp sensor on the rear of the front cylinder head. that's about all it can be as far temperature sensors.

Used the data logging function on the Thunder-Max this afternoon. Took a 25 minute ride, then reviewed the log. Cylinder Head temperature showed a nice smooth increase, reached a maximum of 245 degrees F. Reacted as expected, increased during slow speed/ideling periods, cooled 0ff some at highway speeds. Engine still developed rough spot in 2500 to 3000 range, not as bad as some days. May be due to cool day, 60's, and mostly highway riding, so things stayed fairly cool.

Don't think this sensor is the bad one. :newsmile08:

What about the TMAP sensor, could that one cause a rough spot in a specific RPM range?

That could also cause a problem if the ECM isn't receiving the right input. You may be better off biting the bullet and let the dealer hook up to it with the digital tech and check the different sensors instead of trying to wing it.

It could also be something in the map of the T Max too.

Relating to the ECM substitution, apparently only the HD dealer can install it on the bike, so simple swap is no joy. Is there any an end user programming or special code entry sequence to "marry" it to the system or the bike if you bought a new one?

Reason is, I bought a new ECM from the dealer and it was "dead" when I tried to use it on my bike. HD dealer way up in Redwood City 300 miles away, got it back and said it tests okay and just phoned me saying the ECM needs to be replaced, installed and married to my bike, and that I have to bring it all in to a dealer. I thought only the TSSM needed this dealer reprogramming.

Last edited:
Any of the components on the bike that are replaced (ECM/TSSM) have to go through the sequence to remarry them. The ECM come shipped with no programming in then and must be loaded with the proper download for the bike.

I'm having almost the same issues with my 08 Ultra...you described my problems to a "T"...warmer temps rougher running between 2500 and 3000 RPM...having to keep the speeds up in the higher gears...and like you said...50-55 for 4th gear and I need to be doing 60 or better before thinking about 5th gear...forget about 6th gear unless you are doing 80. More noticeable when the weather is warmer, but if the weather is 60 or cooler...less of a problem...if you find out the cause, please post...my dealer says the same..."nothing is wrong"...I am getting discouraged...I am contemplating on giving them my bike for a week and telling them to ride it in the warm weather and have them see for themselves.

Back