free website stats program 08 Softail Won't Idle, Dies Out, Difficulty Restarting | Harley Davidson Forums

08 Softail Won't Idle, Dies Out, Difficulty Restarting

jagielow

Hi all! We have an 08 Heritage Softail Classic Anniversary Edition. Several months ago the bike started to die out for no apparent reason. It would spit and sputter in 6th gear and then refuse to hold an idle. Initially, it would not restart. After several weeks of this happening intermittently, we had the bike looked at by a mechanic at the local HD. They had the bike over a week and could not get it to duplicate the issue so they could hook it up to have the computer messages read. (Though it WAS acting up when we dropped it off so they knew there was a problem) Ultimately, they replaced a relay switch and the bike ran great for about a week before beginning to do the same thing again. There doesn't seem to be a specific time that it happens (i.e. hot vs cold, full tank vs low fuel). Several weeks ago, we discovered that if the bike was turned completely off it seemed to "reset" itself and would start up just fine and run well. However, even THAT doesn't seem to be working now. Needless to say we are frustrated and the cost of getting it fixed is daunting, especially to have to pay for endless diagnostics. Any suggestions here would be GREATLY appreciated!

When the dealer had it they said it isn't showing any codes. They stated that they needed the bike to "do it" and hook up the equipment while it was not holding the idle. :-(

most common causes for such symptoms: low fuel rail pressure (hole(s) in "inside the tank" fuel line) or intermittent connection to fuel injector(s) (wire has broken inside the insulation due to constant flexing from vibration)

Fuel rail pressure can be tested by teh dealer or an indy. If it measures low intermittently, then it is likely the fuel pressure regulator (also in the tank).

Intermittent injector connection can be determined, by disconnecting the lines from ECU and injectors, and measureing with an ohm meter, with beep turned on, while flexing the wires near the injector connections, especially anywhere the wires look like they may be flexing, or making tight bends.

There are other potential causes, but those 2 are most common.

Good luck,
Rich P

Thanks everyone. While my better half is pretty good at fixing things, I'm wondering if we're better off taking these suggestions and having the work done at the dealer. (Heaven knows they couldn't figure out what was wrong when they had it for 10 days!) Here's hoping it's not too terribly expensive to fix!!

Thanks everyone. While my better half is pretty good at fixing things, I'm wondering if we're better off taking these suggestions and having the work done at the dealer. (Heaven knows they couldn't figure out what was wrong when they had it for 10 days!) Here's hoping it's not too terribly expensive to fix!!

The sad part of most dealers service centers, if it ain't broke they can't fix it. And if you take these suggestion for your betterment, do not be surprised if the dealer acts insulted by you. Remember they are premadonna's....
My suggestion is find a different service center for these guys do not seem willing or able to help, and are offering no solution to your problem. :nosad

Well, he cleaned out the IAC as suggested. Rode the bike to and from South Carolina this week. As soon as the bike gets hot and then once he shuts it off, the bike is hard to start unless throttling it and he has to hold the throttle open while riding or it won't idle. Stalls right out if he lets off the throttle. He said as soon as the butterfly closes, it stalls out. Any other suggestions??

HD08FXST013.gif

Have a look at #7 here, behind your horn you will see a rubber boot, it is behind that, this will cause the problems you are having tho it should set a code

Back