free website stats program '08 SG DTC code P1511 and P2135 | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

'08 SG DTC code P1511 and P2135

Hey Craig, you responded to my post earlier about this same issue, where I got exactly the same codes.

I spoke to my dealer yesterday and they told me that changing the 6 pins on the TCA behind the air cleaner will fix this. That is my plan this weekend, if I can get the connector apart. If not, I am going to clean it well and lubricate with dielectric grease(suggested by Mavagrand).

But here is my big question of the day: Has anyone ever contacted the MOCO technical service department and tried to get them to pay for the service? I am surprised that this has not become a lawsuit for HD! The last thing I want is my bike to go into limp mode while in the left lane of I-95 passing the boobs talking/texting on their phones!

I spoke to my dealer yesterday and they told me that changing the 6 pins on the TCA behind the air cleaner will fix this. That is my plan this weekend, if I can get the connector apart. If not, I am going to clean it well and lubricate with dielectric grease(suggested by Mavagrand).

Where is the(EDIT) connector located eggzacctly? By "behind the aircleaner" you mean one has to disassemble the air cleaner to get to the connector?
Or is it the small connector which appears to be secured to the back side of the air cleaner, where some black and brown wires end?
I apologize for my less-than-technical language. :)

Gio

Please read this...

HDTimeline Language Policy - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
The last thing I want is my bike to go into limp mode while in the left lane of I-95

Review the Service Bulletin. Your not trying to protect the connector from moisture. Your trying to reduce micro motion. Because even using the correct lubricant is just a band-aid on the root cause of the problem.

Or is it the small connector which appears to be secured to the back side of the air cleaner, where some black and brown wires end?

Review the Service Bulletin you downloaded. The Throttle Control Actuator connector (211A) is shown having 6 positions with 6 wires. Not two.

Again I called the dealership to see if they would stand behind and pay for the work that is described in TT418A. But because it is a tech-tip (something to help the tech in diagnosis) they will not. So I asked how much it will cost me to have them do the repair. It will be 0.5 hours ($30) + 6 pins at $1 each + NJ sales tax. I think the $45 is worth paying for since I don't have the correct tools to disassemble this type of connector plus the piece of mind. Anyway, I wanted to pass this on. I know some will think I am loony regardless.

I talked to my local dealer again today. I asked if they would pay for the replacement of the TCA pins since HD has issued service bulletin TT418A. They said they would not since the service bulletin is only a tech-tip, which instructs the technician on diagnosing the P1511 and P2135 codes.

Anyway, I asked how much it would cost to have the repair done by them. It will be 0.5 hours labor, $6 for the pins, plus NJ sales tax. About $45 for the piece of mind that I will receive. I think it is worth it since I haven't had too much luck with pins and connectors and never have the right tool, though I am sure some will still think :toungeI am loony.

Review the Service Bulletin you downloaded. The Throttle Control Actuator connector (211A) is shown having 6 positions with 6 wires. Not two.

According to my 2009 Touring Service Manual, the TCA connector on FLHR (Road King) models is within the throttle body.
Anyway, tomorrow I'll take the bike to the dealer (hoping to be able to make it), and then I'll wait for a response.

Giovanni

I took my bike to the dealer yesterday for the replacement of the old style pins on the TCA connector. Unfortunately for me and my bike the pins had already been replaced by the dealer I bought the bike from. I was told yesterday that since I cleared the codes (I thought I needed to to get there) I will have to wait for the codes to reappear, and they may or may not, for they to be able to truly chase down the problem. I did fail to mention to everyone about that I replaced the handlebars and now the rolling of my throttle grip feels "notch". When the guy brought my bike to me after checking the TCA pins, he said that feels "notchy" and the problem may be the twist grip sensor. That part costs $100 and at this point in time I am not at all willing to just throw money at the bike. If and when the codes come back, I am looking at 4 - 6 hours of shop time, at $75/hour, to repair the proble.

I feel like I bought a lemon of a bike and that possibly all of the 2008 touring models are unreliable due to this. I don't want to take this thing on any kind of long ride!

I wonder if anyone else could tell us when they got the P1511 and P2135 codes and took their bike to the dealership for repair, what was repaired, besides the 6 TCA connector pins, because obviously, that is not the only problem part?

Just got these codes for the 2nd time since I bought my bike, first time was in 2010, right around this time of the year. That was covered under warranty, out for a ride yesterday and as I turned in to my neighborhood, the check engine light came on and no throttle. Glad this happened now though, in about 2 months I'm taking a 1000 mile trip north, would have hated for this to happen on the road.

Tagged for future info.
My '09 Ultra went into limp mode at about 20K and threw a bunch of codes that I don't remember now. However, they did point back to the TCA connection behind the air filter.

I took the connector loose and cleaned it. Applied dielectric grease to each pin and reassembled. I cleaned the outer portion of the plug and the side of the TCA where the plug attaches and put a thick bead of silicone at the joint on the outer side only where I can see it. I let the bike sit for a couple days to make absolutely sure the silicone had cured. If I ever need to open that connection, I can always slice the silicone and remove the plug.

I'm at 25K now and so far so good. Someone mentioned trying to get the plug and actuator to vibrate as a unit and hopefully that would eliminate the pin fretting. I hope that's what the silicone will do for me.

Take care,
Dave

Back