free website stats program 08 road glide electrical trouble | Harley Davidson Forums

08 road glide electrical trouble

danno138

my 08 glide has a reoccuring electrical problem . It's intermitten and seems to only happen under hard acceleration.When I nail it the radio will shut off the amp gauge pegs out and the lights get really bright plus the lights in the speedometer and tach go out but readings are not affected. i've had it to the dealer but they said they caint get it to happen while they have it in their shop. anyone experienced anything like this.

Sounds like you've maybe got a short to ground on the + side of the circuit that feeds the radio and instrument lights. You're going to have to get your manual out and see what all is fed in that circut.
If it only happens under hard acceleration, I would look for a point that possibly takes a sstrain by the acceleration and might move a little. Possibly it is forcing a pinch of the wiring into a metal surface.
You're probably going to have to look long and hard to find it.

I would have the voltage regulator tested,it sound like when you twist it hard the voltage regulator is allowing all the volts from the alternator through,leaving only the battery to try and control it harming the battery and ultimately everything else electronic.

You're going to have to explain that one to me Steve. I'm not following you at all?? :33:

I would have the voltage regulator tested,it sound like when you twist it hard the voltage regulator is allowing all the volts from the alternator through,leaving only the battery to try and control it harming the battery and ultimately everything else electronic.

In other words, the voltage regulator isn't limiting enough voltage (lights get really bright and radio cuts out due to over-voltage). The battery is not only storage for dc voltage, but it also acts as a shock absorber to amperage and voltage spikes, but it can only handle so much.

OK guys. I follow your train of thought now. You could very well be on the right track. I just couldn't get a handle on what you were thinking.
Thanks. :D :D

Back